Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair Clip

apples and bananas

Hair Clip

I have the cutest little one year old that has this head of hair that drops right in front of her eyes. When she has a cold the hair can be completely stuck to her face in boogers.

So, she comes to daycare every day with a hair clip. A tiny little clip at the side of her head.

I've now lost 2. She will often play with it and take it out but one of the kids will either bring it to me or I'll catch her doing it.

I have extra clips here so I replace it, but now I have these 2 random clips somewhere in my daycare room. It's like finding a needle in a haystack!

I don't want mom to think that I'm not watching her. I am! But she's so quick with it. And now I think she's putting them in the buckets of toys. I'll never find them in there!

Any suggestions on how to keep these dreaded clips in her hair? Or what I'm going to tell mom when I have to explain I've lost yet another clip with no finding it in sight.

Outgoing
    Take it out of her hair immediately after she arrives.
    I have one dcg who comes with little scunchies or clips which IMO are a choking hazard at this age so I take them out and then re do her hair at the end of the day.

Euphoric !
    Don't worry about it if they go missing. Kids will loose things and that does not mean you are not watching her. I hope the parent's don't expect you to keep your eyes on their daughter the whole time she is at your house! Maybe ask mom for non-slip pony tail's for her instead to keep her hair back.

I have an all girl group right now and I am constantly fixing their hair - clips, ponytails, headbands. Things get lost - oh well!

I would be more concerned that another child will put the clip in their mouth.

I tell parents no clips, bobby pins as they are a choking hazard. If parent forgets, then I just replace clip with an elastic band and attach clip to their daily sheet.

Expansive...
    Agreed. Take it out straight away and give back at home time. Pop an elastic around those bangs like Pebble Flintstone!

apples and bananas
    Love the elastic band idea! I just dumped every toy container in the play room and found it. Thank goodness!

The choking hazard is my concern too.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have the same problem and the tiny clip comes out right away and a super tight elastic goes in a little pony right on the top of her head. Mom thinks its adorable :-) but i have to take the elastic out before naps or she pulls it out.

Euphoric !
    I would just ask mom to send her in a ponytail instead and explain why. I don't see why mom wouldn't understand and not comply with your request. Some parents just don't see the whole picture and don't think about things like that as a choking hazard

Euphoric !
    I take the clips out and use one of my sons old dental elastics from when he had braces to make a pony tail on top of the head looks like a whale spouting water most of the time. The dental elastics are designed to stretch a lot so almost impossible to break but you can still manipulate them with your fingers easily around a couple times. They are really tiny. Often I send them home with pony tail in but clip back in at the front.

Alternately take out for play but put back in for eating so hair is out of the face/food and then remove again.