Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

They want a What???

Potential client has asked for a police check for both my husband and myself- not a problem because we have them. I consider it good practice to have this. They also want all a CAS check. Seriously? Anyone have this done before? how do you go about it? I personally don't like jumping through hoops to get a client....

I had a CAS check when I was a registered member of a non-profit provider group who gave out referrals. It was just a report that said that our family was not known to CAS.
    I remember I just called them and asked for the check and I think I paid a small fee. Try phoning your local CAS to see if they will do this for you. I find it was an advantage to tell prospective clients that I had the documentation to show we were "CAS free"

I never herd of that before. My question would be if the CAS would do a check does that mean compliants too? I had a compliant on me before (i had nothing to do with the compliant. My neighbours trying to make trouble and called the whole row of houses but because CAS was called ththey had to investigate and open a file. I was horrified by this and quite upset about this. They closed the file right away because the worker clearly said this is just stupud for me being here. So if i need a check ever would that show when they do a check.

Euphoric !
    Have never heard of a request like that either for home daycare. Not sure if it is something that a daycare centre requires of their employees or not. Personally whether I have anything to hide or not I consider the source and to me this just shows the parents are nervous nellies and/or over suspicious. I know they have their child's best interests at heart but there is more to providing good care that has nothing to do with basically meaningless pieces of paper and anyone that puts their faith in that is a concern. I would probably suggest that since they appear to be very nervous about putting their child into home care that maybe they would prefer to consider a placement in a daycare centre where there are more adults and as such more accountability to each other.

Often once you start talking to a family in this way they either back down or break down and tell you what is really going on and what prompted them for the request. That is where giving them additional references from past clients, etc sometimes puts them at ease or speaking to one of your best clients to let them know their concerns and asking them address it specifically when they call them. When it comes client to prospective client rather than me to a client it helps the new parents a lot.

Until some of these checks are mandatory by law, I am not sure I would be letting prospective clients start to dictate what I will and won't do.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What is CAS? Here in MB, we have criminal record checks and child abuse checks that are mandatory for most jobs that involve working with children and vulnerable people. I know they are mandatory for dc centres but not sure if they are for licensed hdc's. I am a private hdc so I don't have to have them but have had parents ask for them. I explain that I have had them at previous jobs (I have always worked with children and vulnerable people at my healthcare job) and that they cost money to do them often. This always satisfies them. I also briefly worked with CFS (child family services) so this usually appeases the families.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    What is CAS? Here in MB, we have criminal record checks and child abuse checks that are mandatory for most jobs that involve working with children and vulnerable people. I know they are mandatory for dc centres but not sure if they are for licensed hdc's. I am a private hdc so I don't have to have them but have had parents ask for them. I explain that I have had them at previous jobs (I have always worked with children and vulnerable people at my healthcare job) and that they cost money to do them often. This always satisfies them. I also briefly worked with CFS (child family services) so this usually appeases the families.
    Childrens Aid Society

Euphoric !
    thanks!!! I assume that is the same as our CFS.

apples and bananas
    Can't the client call their local CAS and ask if anything has been reported on the daycare? As a parent, I would be more likely to do this (If I was that concerned) rather then ask the daycare provider to supply something.

I think I might be cautious with a client asking for something out of the norm like this. They already feel high maintenance and not very trusting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

You could probably ask about any reports being made on the daycare, but I would think you would want to know about the provider and any history of violence, neglect/abuse in the home in their personal life.

I don't think this is an unusual request. Parents want to know that the home part of the daycare is also a safe nonviolent place during the off hours. I think a parent who requests this information is being responsible.
    Last edited by mimi; 10-10-2013 at 08:45 AM.

I know apples and bananas... I'm on the fence right now. I am short 2 spots right now in my daycare, so I'm kinda feeling a pinch financially. I really liked the child when we met, but I just don't know if I want another "high maintenance" family..... Thing is she has a background working with CAS.... She herself claims "mama bear" syndrome....