Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    I get stumped for outside activities especially for the younger kiddos. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Euphoric !
    We put in a deck over the summer so that there is a flat place for the toddlers to walk as that was one of the big issues. What I find is I do physical activities in the house with the little ones with balls, tossing bean bags, they push trucks around the house, I have exercise balls I hold them on for bouncing, etc. When they go outside they head straight for the sandbox and just stand there playing. I always have to laugh when people talk about the need for outside time for physical activity - with the little ones it is strictly for the fresh air and the physical happens inside.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I always have to laugh when people talk about the need for outside time for physical activity - with the little ones it is strictly for the fresh air and the physical happens inside.
    Not sure if this is directs at me, but a 4 year old definitely does lots of physical activity outside. Toddlers are for sure a different story, It wouldn't even cross my mind to worry about them being physically active outside.

Euphoric !
    Actually it was directed to daycaremom9 who was concerned about the younger kids. All of my gang is under age 3 and have another that won't even be able to walk starting in a month so that limits it even more as crawling is much easier on the carpet with no bulky clothes on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Daycaremom, how old are your younger ones? I have 18 and 24 month olds and they get a lot of activity outside for their age. When it's a crazy day inside, I know they need some outside time to burn off extra energy. They love going up and down the slides, "driving" the cozy coupes, chasing the balls and just running around the yard. I don't really plan activities for outside because they all just do their own thing I also have two baby strollers outside and a lawn mower so they love pushing those around the yard. I have always had children who walked by 14 or so months though so for the most part all of my kids have been able to move around outside. Getting up and down the stairs was sometimes a headache though when they were first learning!! lol

I will sometimes take out the mini dinosaurs and hide them around the yard so they have to find them, they loved the car wash we did (summer activity though) and they always chase after the bubbles!! Pinterest is my go to site for new ideas!

Outgoing
    I have 2 & 3 year olds. The boys tend to get more physical activity than the girls. The idea of hiding toys for the children to find is a good idea that I'll be trying.

Euphoric !
    My kids have been filling the sandpails with leaves and then dumping in my big bucket which I then put in the composter. So if nothing else they are walking. Some days I keep the sandbox closed which makes them more likely to use the slide, balls, etc. But if it is open then some go there and stay the whole hour till they are picked up moving to another side of the box if they move at all. Lots of bending over and reaching but not the same as running for sure.

I also find if I make myself "busy" doing something such as pulling weeds. I used one of those dandelion pullers you step on and pull them out. Works really well and we are seeing progress in that there are less in the play area now. I will also take my little snips and trim plants - anything to not be available as the entertainment since if I just stand there they expect me to lead the play.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremom9 View Post
    I have 2 & 3 year olds. The boys tend to get more physical activity than the girls. The idea of hiding toys for the children to find is a good idea that I'll be trying.
    Just make sure you count how many toys you hid so you know when they are all found!! I agree with you, typically my boy gets more physical activity as the girls just like to play in the play houses or swing on the tire swing. My 2 18 month olds actually run around the most.....but I think just because their attention span is smaller so they always run from toy to toy and area to area haha. In the winter we go for walks more but I put the 18 month olds in the stroller and the 2 year olds walk.