Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tax Receipt

Tax Receipt

Hi everyone,
    I have a daycare parent that have been with me for almost two years and that I never had issues with. They told me when we met that they don't need tax receipts, but now all of sudden ( it is almost the end of the year), she asked me for a receipt out of the blue moon and the funny thing she wants it for this year. She's been acting weird lately too ( the last month or so) and think she is also pregnant. What would you all do? Thanks in advance!

Did you lower your daily rate is lieu of giving a tax receipt? If she asks for a receipt you have to give it to her.
    To protect myself and my business I issue all my clients receipts. What if the relationship goes bad, they might report you to the CRA? What if you were to get audited and your attendance does not match your reported income? Not worth the risk.

Euphoric !
    Do you just issue a year end receipt for tax purposes? Just do a receipt for them based on what you're claiming for your own taxes. I hope you've been claiming....very dangerous waters to be swimming in if not. I would never run a business without tax receipts.

Thanks for your input. I always give everyone a receipt in February. This particular parent though said that they don't want a receipt but to charge them $3.00 less each day. So I am just shocked that she's asking for one now ( when i was charging her less than everyone) and it hurts my feelings that we've always had a great relationship and now for some reason I think she might be pulling her kid from daycare and doesn't care to follow what we agreed on. Of course, I am going to give her one as we're required to do so, but seems unfair that she made me charge her less and now wants one....

Euphoric !
    Take it as a lesson learned. I don't say this to be mean but she didn't MAKE you charge her less, you CHOSE to do so for whatever reason. Make sure you don't do this again and you won't have to worry about getting in trouble if your audited or a parent rats you out.

If you feel comfortable, ask her if she is planning on leaving or ask why she wants a receipt now. I would also charge her the full amount starting now if she is going to want receipts every year(which is her right).

(side note....why would a parent not want a receipt? Is there some reason why they wouldn't want to claim their daycare?)

Starting to feel at home...
    I wonder if it would be possible to invoice her for the difference that she owes now that she wants a receipt. I mean, you had a deal, right? So maybe tell her "We had agreed that you'd pay less instead of getting a receipt, but since you do want a receipt after all, then you need to pay the full amount." Or something like that. What do people think?

I think the parent is holding all the cards. If lovemylife would now issue her an invoice for the difference that just confirms she was working under the table. Best to just issue receipt, ask parent what her future daycare requirements are and leave it at that. I might even issue one for the previous year's care as well just to relieve myself of any wrong doing.

Euphoric !
    in my contract it states that tax receipts are issued in February for the prior year or at the end of fully paid terminated care. so if she is still with you and she hasn't given notice then I would let her know that you will issue a receipt in February with the rest of your clients. if she causes a stink then you will know that something is up. I would then so as a prior poster said and tell her your deal was that she got a reduced rate in lieu of a receipt ..now that she wants a receipt her fees go up and that she owes you a bit of money. does she pay cash or cheque or emt?

Thank you for all the replies. When we first met she said that it helps them more and rather pay less than get a receipt, so we both agreed on that. It's going to be very hard for me to ask for the difference, but I am going to give it a try and see what she thinks. Either way, I will be giving her a receipt! It's so upsetting to think you have an amazing relationship with a person and then you realize that they don't necessarily care about you the same way you do. Also, I learned not to lower my prices no matter what the reason is as it only brings stress and headache.

Euphoric !
    The parent did get the best deal in the sense that just because you don't issue them a receipt if they have their cancelled cheques or some other proof that they paid you the lower fee they are probably claiming the amount on their taxes anyways.

It is also possible that they are being audited and need an official receipt to prove their expenses.

Not sure you will get anywhere asking for the back pay and may have to just go without that but moving forward from the date you give the receipt the parent will be expected to pay the same rate as the other families. I would give them a new contract to sign with the new rate and chances are that will get the truth out of them. Don't be surprised if they are planning to leave care and just getting all of their things in place first.