Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

. .. . So Now They Want A Meeting

I've had a 3.5Yr DCB for a month.

During program he is a dream and considering his English is minimal he has done extremely well building friendships.

Out only issue has been around nap. I require at least an hour of quiet rest time (he doesn't have to sleep but he does have to lay down and be quiet (he still naps at home). He is loud and whines and makes noise for the sake of making noise to the point where, last week, NO ONE SLEPT and he had another two year old in tears because the child was so tired he couldn't function.

I called mom that day and had her pick him up.

We have had two meetings where I have asked for suggestions. I got nothing. She wanted to know when this whole transition process would end because he was arguing with her at home now. She was asking me how to handle him at home!!!!

Bottom line: boy was an only child who would get his way at home by arguing . . . Then he came to my house . . . . Poor child was really thrown off by ceented rules you could not budge.

Mom made the decision to pull the plug (Shoot! I would have tried a little longer, I just wanted approval on whether mom thought my suggestions would work!!!

So I told her that I need a months notice in writing and that he can still attend until the month is up, but regardless of attendance, the next cheque is due TODAY!

That was Friday . . . no answer

I tried calling yesterday . . . she insists on TEXTING that they are away and will send me an email . . . . (great so I have to wait to see if im getting paid!)

They emailed me last night . .. . . they want a meeting

Who wants to vote that they are going to try and get out of paying what they owe . . . . who wants to vote that they want to re-neg their choice to leave . . . . who wants to vote that I will have some angry parents in my home telling me that this is all my fault . . .

I need suggestions and ENCOURAGEMENT before 5:15pm today

Euphoric !
    If child is being pulled there is no need for a meeting - using the excuse that obviously any of the rules and methods at your house did not meet with his approval. The payment is due either by EMT or by cheque which can be delivered with the child if he is attending or left in the mailbox if he is not attending for the rest of the month.

Unless supply of kids is minimal for your area once there is an issue like this it is usually best if the family does move on and vows not to repeat their mistakes with the next provider.

It somewhat sounds like the child is not ready for group care. I rarely take on a child over age 2 as too much damage has been done by that point that can not be undone easily. Better that they get a nanny and you get a toddler you can mold into the group.

I agree with playfelt. No meeting. If they want a meeting to work things out with you then they need to be up to date with payment otherwise their spot is not available to them anyway.

This is why I always say to everyone that payment must always be in advance. I can't get over how many people post on here about payment owing and it's always providers who do not get paid at the beginning of the week in advance.

I am with playfelt and bright, no meeting; If they are meeting to drop off payment that is one thing...(or to stratigize) But no one is allowed in my home to tell me how things should be done er whatever no way no how.....
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 10-15-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Euphoric !
    Good luck tonight!! Stay strong and let them know that if they don't pay, you will have to take them to small claims over an unpaid bill. (even if you don't, I would threaten too lol)

I know you probably just wanted to vent but I also suggest that you request payment ahead of time. I do 2 weeks at a time but if yours is a month, then charge a month ahead. It will save you time, stress and headaches in the future. I would change this asap for all families in your care now.

Euphoric !
    Do you have all the kids in one room for nap? Maybe in the future if you have a child that bothers the rest put them in a separate room with a fan running outside the door and that way whatever noise the child makes doesn't bother anyone else. I find kids are hard to come by so I don't tell parents if the child is doing something or not doing something unless it puts another child in jeopardy or is enough of a deal breaker that I'm going to term anyway... Most stuff I can handle myself and I'm not willing to rock the boat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

You already had 2 meetings and now they want to leave. What exactly would a third meeting accomplish. I have a feeling they just want to criticize you to justify non payment.

Side note: don't make it obvious you are looking for approval from your clients. In their eyes then it makes them the boss and they are not........YOU ARE!

Good luck and I hope you get paid. If they don't pay you, yes, tell them you will take them to small claims court or send it to collection. Let us know the outcome. We're cheering you on!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Stand your ground for sure. You are in the right, and you have it in your contract that they must give you notice. Whether or not they continue to bring him back is up to them. I imagine they are only meeting to try to talk you out of requiring pay.

I might even go so far as to cut the meeting short if they don't pay you. Tell them that you can no longer meet or talk with them, as you will be taking them to claims court for breach of contract.

Good luck!

Euphoric !
    The other ladies all offered great advice. If they don't pay you, there is nothing to discuss. however, I also agree with those who said that I would not have brought this up with the parents. i am not sure what they could do on their side if he is napping at home and not for you...it sounds like an issue that has to be resolved at daycare (moving him to a separate space is a good idea). I also can't imagine they were too pleased at having to pick him up because of not napping. I have never called a parent to pick up because of behaviour issues...only illness. Not trying to pick on what you did or didn't do...just offering advice for next time. Good luck!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Just to clear things up. They owe me for the month PAID notice. I have a two week deposit but They still owe me another two week to make up for that month of paid notice.

I do advance payment as everyone else

Not that dumb LOL