Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I agree with playfelt. I think it's been mentioned before but making the older kids go to the washroom while you are getting the younger ones ready will help too so that the older kids start getting ready when the younger ones are halfway done to finish at the same time.

Euphoric !
    In my daycare I encourage kids to dress themselves. When it is time to go outside I make a pile for each child (laying out skipants if we need them). All children over 3 should be able to pretty much dress themselves with minimal help. If they are having trouble I just tell them to keep trying while I work on the little ones. By the time I get the little ones fully dressed I work my way up in age. If the older ones are fully dressed before I get finished they are allowed to go upstairs and get their shoes on. Once they have their shoes on they help the other kids with their stuff. Making the kids try try again helps give them practice and confidence that eventually they can do it, it also gives me the time to dress the little ones. Having them help the younger kids with their items keeps everyone busy until I can get to them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have been thinking of a better system as well. I corral them all in my mudroom for shoes and boots, but have had a hard time getting them all to sit...so they mill around tripping over one another and causing chaos...LOL. I was thinking of mats like I use for circle time...and books for those who are ready...but I haven't tried it yet. I have a young group and not only that, the two 2 year olds can't do anything for themselves...parents do everything...I get blank looks when I even try to get them to take off their shoes, let alone put anything on. I have been lazy about pushing this as I am always in a hurry to the school bus and can't take 20 minutes per child...so I end up doing it for them. I wish their parents would work on it more at home, but my suggestions have not been taken up...LOL. Oh how I hate snowsuit season

Euphoric !
    It is right in my contract that I encourage kids to get their own clothing on. Here is a bit out of my fall/winter clothing reminder for parents that I just handed out:

Please keep this in mind when buying your child’s winter gear for the season – children’s outerwear should be easy to get on and off. Children aged 3 should be able to put on their own boots, ski-pants, jacket and hat (with a little help from me) and children aged 4 and over should be able to do their own zippers and put on their own mittens. Please buy clothing that is easy for your child and practice letting the kids dress themselves at home.