Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Deposit Question

Well, after dealing with problem after problem with each family I have, I've decided to close. My families have been so rude with me, and have not been respecting my rules. One of my families was really mad when I gave them my 1 month's notice and have decided to not send their child here at all anymore (really mature). They already paid me for this whole week and now I don't know whether I should return the money for this week or keep it? It is their decision to not send him here anymore at all, so I'm wondering if I am entitled to keep it? They've never given me a deposit, so all I have is the money for today and tomorrow. Do you guys think I should give it back or keep it?

Euphoric !
    Keep it. You gave notice, they're choosing not to use it. The money's yours.

So sorry to hear this business has been unpleasant for you. It's always the parents isn't it....not the kids. Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue

keep it. Just with any other absence, according to my contract, they must pay for the days their child is not here.
    Sorry you are leaving this business on such an unhappy note. The first thing I had to learn when I started was to stand up for my policies. Sometimes a tough thing to do. Good luck in your next venture smileyface

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm so upset with this family! In my contract and in the initial interview I explain to all families that when children are sick, they are to stay at home... even if it's a cold. In return, when I or my children are sick, I warn daycare families and give them the choice as to whether they still want to bring their children or keep them home. In return, I don't charge them for the day if it's because me or my children are sick should they choose not to send them. This family dropped off their son when he was full blown cold. His nose was disgusting! It was constant stream of yellow thick snot and he was constantly sneezing. He was getting snot all over the toys and my walls and furniture. I texted the parents saying that he is obviously really sick and should not be here today (as per my policy). Dad texts me to say Grandma is picking this child up. Grandma comes to the door and yells (yes yells!) at me saying how unhappy she is with me, how ridiculous I am for sending him home and that it's my fault he's sick (even though none of us have been sick). She was so rude to me that my husband came to stand behind me and just stared at her to get her to back off. Once she saw him, she stopped and left. I was so offended and taken aback that I decided to give notice to this family. Their response is to say they are coming to get his things today and he will not be coming back. This is not the first blow out this family has had at me. They have yelled and been rude a few times in the past, and this was the final straw. A normal family would apologize to their daycare provider considering this grandma was so rude and they weren't following my policy, but instead, they get mad and pull him out immediately. This is why I don't really care to give back the money. They are totally in the wrong and have been so disrespectful to me!

Euphoric !
    There is very little you can do with rude people. Let them come and get his things when they want but you gave notice as per your contract so in theory they are responsible for full payment for the notice period but not worth trying to collect in situations like this. But do not return any money to them. If they choose not to return the child to care that is their problem not yours.

Likely grandma was asked to take the kid because he was sick and refused so they sent him to daycare making her livid when she had to actually come and get him anyways. Too bad the rules are there for a reason.

Euphoric !
    I agree with the others, you shouldn't give any money back. They were in wrong and not following policy. They are likely just mad that you are standing up to them and not allowing their disrespectful attitude to win anymore.

I just recently had a child stay with gramma for 2 weeks and she asked if she could have my sick policy so she would know when/if she would need to keep her home. I appreciated that so much and made sure to tell her and the parents this!!

Outgoing
    I agree, keep it, they pulled their child early and forfeited those fees. I am sorry you have had such a horrible time!