Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Don't want to be over capacity however don't want to get screwed either

So I currently have 3 full time and 2 part time sharing a space (they were also friends prior to coming to daycare). The one part timer (let's call her Suzy) needs full time for her and her sister for January (sister will be 1, Suzy is now 3). I have the spots, however it means that I can't accommodate my other part timer though (let's call her Alice).

How should I handle this? I have offered the 2 full time spots to the Suzy's family (don't want to loose them) and they have accepted however don't have a deposit yet, will get it on Wed when she comes for care. "Alice" really doesn't need care as her mom is on mat leave, she is here for socialization and to give mom a break. I can offer her Friday as my one full timer comes Mon-Thurs.

I checked in with one of my other full time families re: their long term intentions (I always had a feeling they were not here for the long haul). Mom admitted that if a toddler spot comes up at the daycare in her work (more convenient hours etc for them) she will move her but the soonest that could happen would be Jan when she is 18 mos.

So I think I am doing the right thing securing Suzy's family but what do I do about Alice? Would you say something to the family now and let them know that come Jan only one day per week will be available and it has to be Fridays? Do I wait and see what happens with my 18 mos old looking to move on? So many factors to consider.

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    I would secure the two full time spaces now and get the deposits. After that I would let Alice's mom know that come January there will be changes. At minimum she will need to move to only one day a week on Friday and at best you will be able to accommodate her as now and be honest saying one of the children may be leaving for a daycare centre. Even if you don't mention a name she will be able to figure it out but that is the reality of home care with so few families. Also if she is on mat leave when does she return to work as in she will need to know that you can not accommodate both kids so she will need to be looking elsewhere anyways.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    If I were you I would just wait until December until you say anything to the part time family, because so much can happen until then. Especially if you suspect that another family might leave anyways. And if the part time family doesn't like the option of coming Fridays then too bad IMO. Full timers get priority around here, and she is on mat leave anyways so it's not going to be the end of the world. I think if you wait til December and give them one month notice that your schedule is changing that's fair.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I disagree. IMO the commitments you made with the original families and that particular child come first. If you can accommodate baby No. 2 then so be it, if not then no. I would never change a families schedule to accommodate something better that has come along.

My advice would be to ask the mom on mat leave if it would work for her to go down to Friday's only. If not I would say you don't have room for baby no. 2 then.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Good point that mom is on mat leave anyways in the sense that she isn't going to be left high and dry if care stops just before Christmas.

At the same time she should be far enough in mat leave to be thinking about what to do with both children so if you won't have a space for both when she needs it then she needs to make a change anyways and for January is the ideal time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    "Alice's" mom stays at home currently, they just moved here and she is using her time to set up the house etc. The 2nd baby won't be due until Jan ( I guess when she will need care most).

I think I will wait a bit and see what happens. Get my deposit in hand and check in with the 18 mos old family as well. By mid Nov I should know what is going on. Alice's mom and I get on really well so I will chat with her and let her know the situation in a couple of weeks.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I disagree. IMO the commitments you made with the original families and that particular child come first. If you can accommodate baby No. 2 then so be it, if not then no. I would never change a families schedule to accommodate something better that has come along.

My advice would be to ask the mom on mat leave if it would work for her to go down to Friday's only. If not I would say you don't have room for baby no. 2 then.
    I hear what you are saying and this is my dilemma. That being said, I also need to look out for myself. I have a few families on my wait list for Jan currently and if I don't act quickly, they will find care elsewhere. Also, this part time family was told at the onset that it was a trial to see how it goes so although it is going really well from all accounts, I have "an out."

Euphoric !
    I understand you have to look out for yourself but this is what gives home daycare's a bad name IMO. My word is my word and it seems to be something that is lost these days.

I think you are using the fact that the mom is home as an excuse. It shouldn't matter why your child is in your care.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think you are doing the right thing. You cannot leave yourself in a bad position because of honouring commitments. I don't think the parents would pass up a good opportunity because they feel loyal to you either. You mentioned that the two part-timers are friends though...in that case I would be inclined to talk to Alice's mom now before she hears it from the other mom and feels like you are pulling the wool over her eyes.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    As has been said many times on this forum parents first and foremost will do what works best for them without giving us a second thought. We need to do the same. This is a business and as such we need to keep it viable. If that means that you need to make changes then you do. The family with the child currently in care has been there longer and as such you are making changes to continue to accommodate a long term family.

Give the PT mom a heads up maybe a month before the changes will be made.

On the other hand you could consider January notice for the family that may leave if it suits them realizing the child will be gone on short notice when they do go and are likely to argue the paid notice clause since daycare doesn't wait and expects child to start now with payment so they would be paying double. Again a case of no loyalty to provider just a family doing what suits them and leaving when they want.

That would give the space to "Alice" anyways with the other family having to drop to whatever is left over if they don't leave for the daycare centre. They may not know till beginning of Jan if they have a space. How many days a week does "Alice" come now? IF it is 3 or more then you might do better off keeping her and the two for sure FT and letting the one that might leave know that you will be terminating the end of December because you can't take the risk they won't be back in Jan and need to fill the space. That then becomes the space that goes to the new baby coming into care and sibling keeps her space.

Yes you have a space dilemma but there are several different scenerios to consider and which one works out best for you giving you the ages, days, income you need to be comfortable.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: