Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Is having a new born and providing daycare possible?

I just found out that I am pregnant with my 3rd child. We are very excited. My one concern is that I just started provided daycare for 3 kids and a possible 4th in a few months and I am wondering if I will be able to handle caring for my 3 and 4 others. I am due in June so 2 of my daycare kids will be off for the summer since their parents are teachers so I really only have to worry about the 4 and 5 year old for the 1st few months until school starts again. Does anyone else out there have experience with having a baby and still providing daycare? How much time did you take off. I was thinking the 1st 2 weeks would be sufficient but not sure.

Euphoric !
    Two of my four kids were born into the daycare. I had about a week with each one - you got to stay in hospital for 3 days back then for starters.

Realize you will still have to care for your children with the newborn so it isn't like you were going to sleep when the baby slept or just sit on the couch with your feet up anyways. They still need meals, naps, diaper changes potentially.

What I found was having the daycare children was a nice diversion for my own kids, and we just made the baby the "theme" for the first month till the novelty wore off and we had a routine down. Also if your hubby can take some paternity leave that helps a lot too I have heard - again not an option way back when.

A lot depends on your delivery and how much time you need to heal. Using your first two pregnancies as a bit of a guide will help you a little in making a decision on time.

If your own are little and nap in the afternoon that helps a lot as it gives you that one on one time with the baby and you will get where you can put the baby on a daycare schedule meaning baby feeds during freeplay and sleeps during craft time.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking along those same lines as well, hearing some feedback makes me feel like it is possible

Outgoing

In the same boat!

First off... CONGRATS!!! How are you feeling???
    I am currently 18 weeks along with # 5. My older children are 15, 13 and 10 so they are gone all day, my youngest is 18 months and all of my 4 dckiddos are between 12-19 months old.
    Honestly, for me I am feeling MUCH better now that I am in second trimester. First trimester I came close to closing. Thankfully all these kiddos because they arrive so early (I open at 7am) still need a morning nap for an hour. I lucked out because my sense of smell, food adversions, all day nausea and fatigue was kicking my A$$. I would lay down when they did in the mornings instead of cleaning up, and would lay down again each afternoon for a little couch snooze with the monitor in the nap rooms on of course. I still do each afternoon for a half hour.
    My plan is to take 2 weeks off after baby. Playfelt is right, I have a toddler as well so its not like I can put my feet up and sleep when baby sleeps. The other kiddos would keep my son busy. All my parents know and are okay with me scheduling my OB and other prenatal appts during afternoon nap and having my mother in law come and stay while the babies are asleep so I can go. Makes things easier instead of having to book days off and inconvenience people.
    Luckily my husband is taking off parental leave. His work also tops up his benefits so essentially he will be making the same staying home for a few months. I am due in March so the plan is for him to be home until Sept to help out and also keep my older 3 occupied over the summer.
    Congrats again!

Euphoric !
    You don't mention how old your children are. If they are the same age as the 4/5 yr old or play nicely then it could be nice for you. If there is a huge age gap and you can afford taking the summer off you could talk to your families about putting their kids in summer camp and close for the summer. Parks and rec camps are really reasonable and between that, parents taking time off and family members taking their kids for a wk or so it could work out really well to close for 2 mos and focus on your new family member.

Expansive...
    I have an 8 month old little guy. I did take 8 weeks off and would highly recommend taking a little time for just you and your baby. This is time that you can not get back, get past those sleepless first 6 weeks where you are establishing breastfeeding and getting your body healed and adjusted to being up all hours, and of course for one on one bonding time
    I only lost one family by taking 8 weeks off, and this was only because they went on mat leave themselves! Hubby also took 6 months paternity leave so it was wonderful to have him around to help out with the daycare and so I had someone to hand a fussy newborn off to so I could focus on a daycare child's needs in the moment. It's very doable!! Congratulations!!!!

Outgoing
    Congratulations!!
    I like torontokids suggestion of closing for the summer and you might want to also consider having someone come in and help you for the last month or so?
    I think it's great that you are considering keeping your daycare open when your baby is born but there is no way in HELL i would want to! I really love the time I had off with my children and I know that if I have another baby it will be my last and I really just want to enjoy that time with my own children. Having a daycare has been a wonderful way for me to be home with my youngest, but I find that I miss out on a lot of my older child's things like his school plays, concerts, and field trips - my previous job was fairly flexible so I was able to attend these events. I also really miss being able to do the things that I want to do with my kids but can't because of where we live and the ages of the kids in my care, like museums, farms, etc.
    This is the reason I registered for maternity benefits through EI - if I am able to have another baby I want to make sure that I can stay home and still have some income.
    Let us know what you decide! Hopefully in the next few months I'll be joining you guys and we can start a little 'pregnant daycare providers' group!!

Euphoric !
    It would all depend on your baby I would imagine. My daughter was a terrible sleeper. I also was in a lot of discomfort from having a baby for a good 6 weeks. I didn't start daycare until my daughter was 8 months old. For myself just caring for her was all I could handle. I can't imagine being sleep deprived and caring for other children.

Thanks for your responses and well wishes everyone I am thinking 3 weeks off should be okay (judging on recovery time with my other 2) Then I will only have a 4 1/2 year old and almost 6 year old and my daughter will be almost 7 and my son who will be almost 2. I think that the 2 daycare kids will actually keep my daughter occupied So I shall cross my fingers and see what happens when the time comes cause you just never know how your baby will be There are really no options for daycare in my small town so I would feel guilty if I am unable to care for the kids anymore but in the long run if it doesn't work out then my own family is my priority.

Expansive...
    Congratulations!! All your daycare kids are older so I think you'll be just fine!!! As long as you keep them safe and fed they should be able to mostly entertain themselves for the first little while. You can start the more organised activities again once you get back into the swing of things. Also, it will be summer and it's so much easier for kids to just play outside all day!!!!