Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

My first injury...

I'm so bummed out about this...

My 12 month old just tumbled over (as per usual, she just started walking), but this time managed to hit the corner of my island cupboards. Pretty big goose egg on her tiny forehead. I'd be more worried had this not happened to my son, but I know all the warning signs and she seems fine (I checked responsiveness, pupils, she's walking and standing fine). I called mom just to inform her, but she's not coming to get her until regular time unless something happens. She's got a cold cloth on the egg (won't tolerate ice) to hopefully control the swelling.

The worst part is that it happened just as I was cleaning up from lunch, so right before nap. I don't want her to nap, but she's exhausted so I'm letting her sleep on me so I can at least monitor her.

Anything else I should be doing to help her (or protect me)?

Thanks
    Last edited by 2cuteboys; 10-23-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Euphoric !
    Sounds like you are doing everything perfectly!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Make sure you send home an accident form as well. Have them sign it and keep a copy for your records.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by JennJubie View Post
    Make sure you send home an accident form as well. Have them sign it and keep a copy for your records.
    I'm so flustered I would have completely forgotten about it! Thank you!

Euphoric !
    I agree with the others. You did things just fine Get them to sign the accident form and you will be good!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What is the purpose of an accident form? I have had a couple of injuries (a goose egg and a tooth that pierced the lip in a fall). Parents are informed when it happens etc. Is this just to confirm that parents were made aware of the injury?

Outgoing
    It's precautionary. A fellow provider in my city had a nightmare because of a bruise. Parents freaked out and called FACS over a tiny incident, they claimed they weren't notified, (which was untrue). It was investigated, and provider was cleared of any wrong doing, but it was a nightmare for her good name.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    It's just so you have record of having given parents ALL the details should they go home and it develops into something worse. It's documented proof that they should have sought medical help if they thought it was something more serious. So they can't turn around and say you hadn't given them all the information.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Can someone send me a copy of what you use for an incident report?

Also when do you fill them out? If a child falls and has a scrape/bump or just when it is a little more serious where a call goes to a parent when it happens?

Euphoric !
    Mine is the exact same as the ones I used in daycare centres. It has the date, time of accident, name of child, where it happened, how it happened and what I did for TLC. I also write the time I notify parents. Sometimes I call them right away and sometimes(most times) I just let them know at pickup. The parents read it over, sign it and it stays here in their child's folder.

It is to cover my butt if ever something were to happen and it became more serious. I also ask parents about bruises/marks/scratches/etc that I know didn't happen at daycare. I just verbally ask them but I guess it would probably be a good idea to have this written down too so they can't say it happened here when it didn't.

I write out an incident form if an accident results in a bump, bruise, scratch, blood and/or if I apply a band aid. I verbally let the parents know of any other accidents that happened if there is no visible mark. In the 2 years I've been open I think I have only had to write up 2 or 3 forms as most accidents don't result in a mark....thank goodness!! haha