Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    No problem LOL. There is nothing I hate worse is parents who do everything for their child. I don't have time, I don't just have 1 too get dressed. When they hit aged 3 they should pretty much be able to do most things themselves. When they get to school the teachers certainly don't have time to get 20plus kids dressed which means you need to start before they go to school.

Good luck! I hope it helps!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    I currently have everybody's winter jackets, snow pants, mittens and hats here. They leave them here everyday. I return them on the weekend for washing only if they are heavily stained.
    Thats a good idea! I offered this and had one parent take me up on it.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post

I also don't allow laces for any children's footwear (it is in my contract) and there is no way I would be supplying snow pants or mittens. Parents can buy a 2nd pair to leave at your house from the 2nd hand store. If you supply stuff like this then I find parents get even lazier and expect more.
    It's funny because one family apparently didn't read my note all that well, bought the their own and when I offered this morning to just use the ones here rather than dress their son in them every morning, dad told me "well it's cold in the car on the way here so we'll probably just put them on him every day" (they didn't do this last year) - this was the kid showing up in just a hoodie last week...

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Well fall is among us! Time to think of winter clothing and the dreaded white stuff! First of all I would like to remind parents to continue to bring hats everyday. I would also ask all parents to go through their child’s box and make sure the extra clothing you have supplied will still fit your child and be appropriate for winter (I need an extra pair of pants, a shirt, underwear and socks left here).
    Please keep this in mind when buying your child’s winter gear for the season – children’s outerwear should be easy to get on and off. Children aged 3 should be able to put on their own boots, ski-pants, jacket and hat (with a little help from me) and children aged 4 and over should be able to do their own zippers and put on their own mittens. Please buy clothing that is easy for your child and practice letting the kids dress themselves at home.
    Once the weather gets cooler/wetter please send fall coats with sweaters to put under, wear socks, rubber boots or runners, bring splash pants, winter hats and mittens (the thin stretchy mittens/gloves work great for fall and are under $1 at Walmart).
    I ask parents to bring the following to daycare daily once it snows:
    • Winter Jacket
    • Winter hat that covers ears – prefer ones with Velcro or that can be tied under the chin to prevent it from falling off.
    • Snow pants
    • Gloves/Mittens – MUST be waterproof! I do prefer mittens but if your child can put on gloves feel free send those.
    •Winter boots – MUST be waterproof as well and rated for -20.

When one child comes without appropriate clothing, it prevents all children from going outside. Please make sure you bring all items required. If it’s easier, please feel free to leave a “daycare set “with me if you are worried about not remembering every item each day.

Thanks for your co-operation and don’t forget, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing.
    I sent home a very similar note and included a line about outdoor time being important for their child and our group and that if they arrive without the proper items that they have 2 choices: deliver the items by 10 am (our first outdoor time) or else have their child picked up by 10 am for the day. I also included that we are outside for 1-2 hour blocks, both morning and afternoon, so to make sure that the clothing will keep their kids warm and dry. I also mentioned that clothing needs to fit properly (not too big, not too small) and that I will be reinforcing their self-dress skills here so please send simple clothing so they are not frustrated. I also encouraged extra sets to be left here. Basically very similar to the above

I didn't have any complaints or comments. All my parents arrived with a big bag of clothing the next day! But they knew when they signed up that I emphasized outdoor time in a huge way.

And I also don't do any laundering... I do enough as it is

Expansive...
    I send out a notice in my newsletter as the weather turns and remind parents to send extra socks and pants and to ensure little ones are dressed for the unpredictable weather.

I have had kids come in mittens and hats that are more "fashion" than practical and I then tell the parents the truth and say that "Little Susie was pretty cold today and was crying when we were outside." Her hands were red when I took her mittens off. I love how cute her mittens are but they aren't very warm. I wish they made the cute mittens warmer but does she have anything else that she could wear?"
    This usually makes parents feel bad for their little ones and they show up warmer the next day.

I have also been giving pointers on what brands/type of mittens are warmer. I have seen a lot of different kinds and am starting to recognize a good hat or mitten when I see it