Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help!!

Unhappy Help!!

Hey everyone,
    I'm have recently opened childcare in my home and I have two children so far. Was really hoping to add two more but the more I look at ways to advertise the more I become discouraged. Can anyone offer suggestions? I also just found out that there are 4 other home daycares around me? What should I do?

Euphoric !
    There is always going to be competition so just focus on making your daycare the best that you can. Spruce it up and make sure it's always clean and organized for interviews. Try advertising on here, kijijji, local store bulletin boards, libraries, hand out business cards when at children's places, ask your current families to spread your name, ask your own friends and family to pass on your name, a newspaper ad. Do you have a spouse, if so can he advertise at his workplace for you?

Good Luck!!

Euphoric !
    Put it in your local paper, online in your area, put out flyers etc. If you have 2 kids so far then you should have no problems filling the other 2 spots.

Thanks for the great advise. I live in a young area but with all the other home daycares around do you think this might hurt me? I'm just starting and the other have been around for years! My house is completely set up and policies and agreements all ready now just waiting for some interviews.

Euphoric !
    It all depends on demand. If there are more spaces open than kids then it will be difficult to fill spots. Also word of mouth is a big one so ask your current families to let others know you have spaces.

Euphoric !
    My area is super saturated with daycares but there is still lot's of demand; parents just get to be more picky about who they choose. Home daycares were charging for vac and sick days around here (something I had a hard time swallowing when I was looking for care for my own daughter especially since we did not have any family to watch my daughter for tons of closures) but now those homes have spaces and they have been lowering their fees. They were so confidant they were raising their fees $5/day every yr because they could.

My rate is inline/a bit higher than most and I am full. I think I have a few things going for me though. Parents like that my daycare set up looks like a centre but has a homey feel with smaller ratios etc (this of course would turn off other parents who want the "home like" environment. My program is juice and TV free and our focus is on outdoor time which parents have expressed concerns with home daycare in regards to this because they have said at least in a centre, there is someone in charge making sure the kids get outside. I have a website and spent a lot of time getting the word out there through mom's groups, EYC, the park, the library etc. So find something that makes you unique/appealing and plug that. I know some ladies offer organic food, cater to allergies/sensitivities, cater to shift workers, teachers etc. Find the need and fill it, just be careful not to turnoff the rest of those looking for care.

Hang in there, get out tons with the kids and slip it into conversations at the park with parents. It can take some time as the parents on mat leave now may not need care for a little while, but they may know someone else who does. Good luck

Expansive...
    competition can be viewed as a good thing. you can challenge yourself to be be awesome- be creative. There also may be a niche that is perfect for you. Do you do organic exclusivity? etc.

Outgoing
    I've had parents find my ad on Daycare Bear as well as Craigslist. You could try an ad in your local paper but that didn't really work for me and it's expensive. I used to take a couple of my daycare kids to the Strongstart at the school and I did drop-offs and pick-ups from the preschool. I don't do that anymore as it's too hard with more kids but not bad if you only have a couple. It's a good way of getting people to connect your daycare to your face. It didn't hurt that I'm on the same street as the school. I had my name on my van and also a sign posted at the foot of my driveway.

Awesome advise! Does anyone else have signs posted on there lawns?