Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vitamin C

Did you know out of the top ten foods with the highest content of vitamin C, 50% are vegetables. Also, did you know out of that top ten, Oranges and citrus fruits are number 9? Kiwi for example, number 7, delivers 273% DV per cup...that's it, just 1cup of kiwi is nearly 3 times the daily recommended value of vitamin C.Yellow peppers are number 3 with a DV of 569% per pepper.

I feel like majority of the public are very poorly educated when it comes to nutrition which is overall not our fault. We are not properly educated when growing up with the real facts, simply have media ramming down our throats, no pun intended, that we should drink the orange juice, blah blah blah. Quite honestly, a person would probably be healthier not drinking the orange juice even if it was their only source of vitamin c, because they would prevent a whole heap of crap from entering their bodies. High sugar and from concentrate juice is absolutely unnecessary in anyone's diet, and quite frankly does more damage than good.

I buy organic, not from concentrate, EVER, Apple juice for my 10 year old son. He loves it and he has about 1 cup of it a day simply because he enjoys it. I'm not about never indulging in treats which are nearly always bad for us I so me shape or form, but if what you are putting in your mouth is a choice made primarily for health benefits, you better be dammed sure you did your research rather than buying into what the label tells you that it's good for you, which is most likely BS!

Euphoric !
    Yes obviously whole real fruit is better than juice

However, in my experience, the children who got the most ear infections were the best fruit eaters. It's interesting though to read about others experiences!

We eat fruit 2-3x a day here so I try to switch it up a lot to keep the kids eating it. I will have to google which fruits have the most vitamin C in them though and keep that in mind when choosing the fruits for the week.

These are the fruits and veggies I gave dck during last week:
    Banana
    Honey melon
    Apple
    Dried cherries
    Grapes
    tangerines
    Kiwi
    Pear
    Dried cranberries
    prunes
    plums
    raisins
    Sweet potato fries
    Baby carrots
    Grape tomatoes
    Corn
    Raw sweet peppers
    Veggies mixed with pasta
    Sweet potato in their grilled cheese
    Spinach in their breaded tofu

By the way, I don't serve juice during daycare hours, but we drink orange or cranberry juice sometimes during dinner as a treat. I think we eat healthy most of the time, but we occasionally have treats like ice cream, cake, etc. and I ashamed to say that I eat my share of junk food late at night
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 10-28-2013 at 09:15 PM.