Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing
    I have a boy whose mother is allergic to peanuts so she is unsure if her son is or not. I've had him since he was a year old and he's almost 3 now. When he was 1, he was in a high chair so I allowed other children to have peanut products which his mother was aware of. I was very anal about making sure the table and children were cleaned before this boy could come down from the high chair. Since he started eating at the table with the other children, I have become a nut free daycare. If a parent informed me that her child has a life threatening nut allergy, then I would have to tell them that I couldn't accept them into the daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I'm like much of the others. I state in my contract that I am not peanut free as I am not willing to take the risk for the same reasons already mentioned above.

I have had children with other food issues, such as milk intolerance and sensitivities. I have cared for a child in a centre with gluten allergy and his mom provided all the food. To my knowledge, these are allergies that do not require epi pens so therefore I would be fine taking them into my home. In my experience, if these children did have milk or gluten, it resulted in sore stomach's and lots of poops!
    One of my first daycare children had a severe life threatening allergy to dairy and had two epi-pens with him at all time. Peanut allergy seems to be spotlighted as being the most severe reaction in the headlines and at schools but it isn't always the case. My daughter over the past few consecutive years has had a child in her class with life threatening allergies to strawberries and kiwi's...to the point that it was banned from the entire school. Seems extreme to some but not to the family of this child or the child who would likely have a fatal reaction before the paramedics even arrived on scene. Now these types of allergies are a no brainer to me. Of course the answer is no without a shadow of a doubt but I do not automatically turn one down and not the other, its on an individual basis and also so many misuse the word allergy in place of intolerance. I do a little investigating prior to making a decision and I never jump to conclusions.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a little girl with me with a peanut allergy. She's only ever broken out in a rash once but still has an epipen at my house. She's only here 2 ams a week and honestly I'm just super careful. I disinfect her eating space and make sure that she always washes before eating. There are some brands that eliminate oils including peanut oils off of skin and surfaces. But... there are very few items with nuts in them in the house as my daughter is sensitive. Any member of the family who opens a nut product does so in a designated spot and washes afterwards. Now, normally I wouldn't accept a nut allergy because of the liability but this was a special circumstance. I always tell parents that I will not serve peanut products but that I will also never claim to be peanut free. If anyone feels the need to bring in outside food ie, at halloween, it will NOT be used without my being able to see a guaranteed list of ingredients.

Euphoric !
    Bright sparks....thanks for that info!! None of the children I know with milk and gluten allergies had epi pens so I was unaware

5 little monkeys - I'm sure it's different for every child depending on each individuals reaction.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    How do they know this at ten months old?
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Quote Originally Posted by daycarewhisperer View Post
    How do they know this at ten months old?
    I am going to assume that as the parent said her child has anaphylactic allergies to peanuts then he must have had that kind of reaction. As for the others, I would hazard a guess that she is misusing the term allergy and they are intolerances but that's not to say it is so. Child could have swelling of lips etc when ingesting them, or if it was an intolerance then loose bowel movements amongst other things would be a good indicator, even at this age. That being said, she would really have had to go through a period of elimination and introduce each thing back without the others for a period of two weeks to truly identify an intolerance and I find it highly unlikely that she would have done this at age 10 months.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I am going to assume that as the parent said her child has anaphylactic allergies to peanuts then he must have had that kind of reaction. As for the others, I would hazard a guess that she is misusing the term allergy and they are intolerances but that's not to say it is so. Child could have swelling of lips etc when ingesting them, or if it was an intolerance then loose bowel movements amongst other things would be a good indicator, even at this age. That being said, she would really have had to go through a period of elimination and introduce each thing back without the others for a period of two weeks to truly identify an intolerance and I find it highly unlikely that she would have done this at age 10 months.
    Why would they give a baby nuts?

I would be suspicious that a ten month old would have these allergies.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Euphoric !
    If the parent ate a peanut butter sandwich and then kissed the child near the mouth the child could have reacted. I know of a nine month old that was allergic to almonds - found out because mom mixed the last of the honey nut cheerios in with the plain ones and served them to the child for snacking. Child was then referred by doctor for allergy testing and came back positive for almonds, negative for other nuts but given epi pen and told to keep him from all nuts until he could be retested at age 2 when tests were more accurate.

If the reaction is gut as in loose stools, excessive gas, cramps it is considered an intolerance. If the child swells around the mouth it is considered an allergy and potentially anaphalactic because the swelling could block breathing.

Expansive...
    I have food allergies. So I have a peanut, tree nut, strawberry, and shellfish free home. I also keep kosher so milk is not a huge issue (milk and meat can't be mixed), but I would be wary of taking on a kid who had a life threatening allergy with which I was not extremely well versed. Liability is a scary thing.