Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I love field trips! I have no problem with up to 6 children on my own, but if I have the full 8 I ask for volunteers. We have a bee farm, apple barn, library, CCRR (childcare resource and referral), and Strong Start special events, all within driving distance. I have a 15 passenger logo'd van equipped with car seats to accompany everyone. The parents sign a permission slip giving daily consent so that I can drive my own 3 children to school. Then seperate slips for each field trip. The age group that I care for is 30 mo to 5 yrs old.

Shy
    I attend play groups, parks and a museum within the community and walking distance. It's much easier if another caregiver goes along looking out for each other Always advise parents beforehand where I am going , time expected back etc. Permission slips are signed when I have to take them on the bus.

Outgoing
    Do you count running errands as a "field trip?" Would you get parents to sign a form saying its okay to take their child out if you had to run to a store or something? Or is it just something that is within your agreement saying its okay whenever needed?

Starting to feel at home...
    We walk to the store a few times a week after the school drop off. It's part of our normal routine and my parents know that. I include that in my general permission form...along with visiting the park a few times a week and the zoo in the summer (zoo is 1/4mile from my house, we walk). I'd go nuts in the summer if I had to get a permission slip for every single outting as we are out of the house every day.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

I don't know what other peoples' experiences have been, but my insurance told me that to be able to take 5 daycare children in my car, even on short trips around town, would be impossible. The cost would either be huge or many companies would not even insure me at all. I know that many people drive vans etc with daycare children in them... have they not informed their insurance companies of this or is there a reasonably priced way to transport kids in my car? It would really be a lifesaver to be able to go further and possibly run some errands while the kids are here.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    My home and vehicle insurance are through the same company. I find the advantage to that is that the daycare rider follows through for my vehicle. Now, if I take the children on more than occassional field trips then I would need to possibly increase my insurance, for now my insurance company said I am ok. The most I drive with my daycare children in the summer is twice a week and in the winter once or twice a month.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I know of a few caregivers who claim to have taxi insurance to be able to transport the children in their personal vehicle. The cost didn't seem to be so high that a caregiver couldn't afford it ($75/yr). When I checked into it my insurance company didn't even entertain the idea.

I would suggest calling different insurance companies in your area and discussing your needs to discover if travelling with your daycare children is affordable and meets your needs.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Euphoric !
    It really depends on the kids I have and their ages. Right now, my van is not running reliably, so I am using our car and every seat has a car/booster seat! It looks pretty silly, but we do a school drop-off and pick-up daily. So it's necessary.
    Once we get a new van, I will absolutely be taking the kids out and about. I will likely always have a second set of hands when I do though. Make it a little easier.

I only have one dck at the moment, and I have taken her to the park via subway. Her parents love the idea. When my other two start in August, we won't be doing this, as I will not feel comfortable crating three children under three onto public transportation, and I am also uncomfortable transporting them in my own vehicle. Thankfully, I live downtown in a fabulous city with tonnes of amenities within walking distance. If I were more isolated, I would likely suck it up and drive them places.

We love field trips. We go on one every two weeks during the summer to various places around our city. I have parent helpers and the ratio is one adult to every two children. Parents bring their own car seats and install them in the vehicles being used to go. All parents helpers have criminal record checks and drivers abstracts submitted before the outing.

I do paperwork just like is done in a school with the permission forms with possibility of potential injury.

Our kids and parents love it!!!