Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

How to discourage screaming?

I have a 15 month old who screams at random several times throughout the day. With my own children I would just ignore the screaming and within a few weeks the behavior would stop. The problem is that once this toddler starts screaming the other children in my care (all under 2) also start screaming and the sound is horrible! Last night I had a pounding headache after dealing with this screaming all day.
    What the heck can I do to discourse the instigator from this? I'm desperate!

Euphoric !
    Are they screaming out of pain, anger, excitement, etc?

With a child under 2, I usually place them in their playpen for a bit when they are doing something I don't want them doing. I put them in their and say "we do not ___. I will come and get you in a few minutes." Then when I take them out, I say again "we do not ____. I want you to play nice with your friends now."

Then I just keep repeating for as long as needed. Whatever you decide to do, just be consistent so you don't send mixed messages.

Euphoric !
    I have one family whose kids like to scream. The oldest one used to do it when she started coming to my daycare and now that I have her little sister as well I noticed she also does it. My guess is that it is allowed at home. It drives me nuts and hurts my ears! I just do constant reminders when it happens. No we do not scream in the house, inside voices please! - in my stern voice. Eventually they will catch on until then have the wine and Tylenol handy for your evenings!

Euphoric !
    Screaming is tricky, because you can't physically stop them from doing it (like you can with hitting, throwing toys, etc).
    I usually start with very little reaction, other than using a calm voice to remind them to use "inside voices". I also try to pick up on the triggers. Is it always in the high chair while waiting for food? I make sure he/she is the last one seated, or has an activity to stay busy. Is it while eating? Food gets removed when screaming occurs (usually it's because they are done), and another reminder about inside voices.
    If it continues, it becomes a consequence-event. A time out, or whatever you choose to use.
    I used to have 2 little boys who would shriek at each other, and laugh, then shriek, then laugh.... I turned them both around to face the wall/corner. Not so fun anymore!! LoL

Starting to feel at home...
    I had one like this. It darn near drove me crazy ! When she was really little (just starting up at daycare, 12-18 months) I would take a few minutes and try my usual tricks - a cuddle, distraction (favourite toy, get her started on the day's craft, a story) if that didn't work she went to her crib until she stopped crying. When the fussing stopped, I'd get her right away and bring her back to the group with lots of "happy words" (I'm so glad that you're ready to play with us - we've been waiting for you) As she got older (she kept this drama up for a year) I had her sit on the stairs (no more cosy crib) I would actually tell her "We don't cry at daycare" and tell her that she could re-join us all in the Playroom as soon as she was ready to be a happy girl. She was a stubborn one - it took months, but now she comes in, smiling and ready to play/participate. I know it sounds harsh but I really think if the child learns that there is nothing to be gained (attention wise) by whining/crying they'll knock the behaviour off pretty quickly. And in my opinion, once they are a year and a half old, they're old enough to understand what kind of behaviour is expected at daycare.

Outgoing
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions! He isn't screaming out of anger or frustration, I think he just likes the way it sounds and maybe he likes the reaction he gets at home when he does it? I've been watching for triggers and I haven't picked up on any yet but I did start removing him from the group and putting him in his playpen for a fee minutes if me asking him to stop doesn't work.
    The other advantage to this method is that the other kids all see thE consequence so they are less likely to encourage the screaming.
    Tylenol has been my friend this week! Lol!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gravy_train For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have a 2 yob that screams in his high chair while waiting for food, I'll usually bring him over to me where I stand during meal & snack time. I find that if he doesn't have an audience, he is less likely to "perform". (His back is to the other children)