Looking for input from your daycare experiences or your own children.

I have an almost 4 year old dcb who has lied to me twice this week for no real reason. Both times I think it was related to him thinking he was going to get into trouble, but I explained to him that he wouldn't get in trouble but I just wanted to know what happened. He refused and denied everything, resulting in him going to time out because I don't tolerate lying. I explained to him that he wasn't in time out for what he did, but because he was lying and making up stories. Today it was because a toy he was playing with had a part break off. No big deal, has happened before, but today he decided to deny that he had even been playing with it.

He has a real stubborn streak in him, which doesn't get him anywhere with me but I know his mom has a real hard time with him (mostly for being too lenient, in my opinion).

I have a strong suspicion that his parents have separated, though I have not been told. His dad has been working in another nearby city for several months now and never seems to come home. He will come pick the kids up occasionally and take them back with him. So the mom is pretty much on her own with him and his little sister 90% of the time. Do you think he is starting to act out because of this (even if they aren't actually separated). He isn't the same kid that I took on 6 months ago. Or it is just developmental and he is trying to assurt his independance?

What would you do? Would you bring it up to the parent?