Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Unhappy Struggling! Hate interview process:( feel like giving up!

So Awhile back I posted a thread about me really stressing out and me losing two kids within two weeks. Ive gotten two interviews in these past two months and they went with another provider. I am very fustrated about this as it took my a year when i started to get kids. The last years when one left i filled the spot 6-7 months later and now its seems like its going to take forever again. What bothers me the most is a provider down the street is full and keeps getting calks and she turns them down. But shes french . I feel like Ottawa is turning into a french city!
    I need income or were going to end up on the streets if i dont get kids. Ive akready consoildated our debt. Ive thought about going back to work but ive have to find a min wage job which wouldnt cover anything with daycare cost. I did my ECE at an unknowen college that wasnt vaild with the ontario teachers collage. So going into a daycare i cant anymore unless i go as a teachers assistant.(min wage). Sorry for the emotional post but im at end with not having a study imcome and wish these kids didnt leave near halloween,my sons birthday this month,and christmas im so upset that my kids might not get christmas or a really really small one. Im upset that i should of had support after highschool yrs ago that would of help me do my research on college. THATS A DIFFERT STORY. Non daycare related. Im ready to give up

Euphoric !
    French is for sure an issue in Ottawa. Not only do French speaking parents want French daycare but English parents are opting for bilingual care with the belief that their child will learn both languages and especially if they plan to put them into French Immersion school. I am English only and my French is limited to what I learned in high school and a few more words picked up along the way. I do know I have lost lots of kids because of my English only situation.

Is there the possibility that it is the area of the city you live in in the sense that some areas have a larger French base than others - I am in Orleans. Not sure where is best but is moving to a different area of the city an option for you.

How well do you know the caregiver down the street? If she is full and turning people away there may be other reasons besides the French. Is she approachable in the sense of talking to her about your situation and see if she has some pointers. Maybe she knows some other things that parents in the area are looking for - does it matter if playroom is main floor or basement, amount of outside time, taking kids on outings, etc. Try to find out what it is about her program that is attractive to parents.

What would you have to do to upgrade your ECE to current standards. Is it worth going back to school. I also took mine at a time when practicums were not a major part of the program and it was all book learning for the most part so while the knowledge is there my practical is what I have learned since I took my ECE so I totally understand what you mean by the ECE concerns.

Shy
    I don't know what it's like where you are, but here I am going to be a provider through the region. They will send families to me.they will also pay me so I dont have to deal with the parents financially. Even if it is just to get me started. It will look much better for me because there are rules I have to follow which I would be following anyways. Do u have weewatch or another licensed agemy you can work with ? Some income is better than none

Euphoric !
    We have agencies here in Ottawa but even they are short on children to place in homes as most parents find their own care since the agency charges the parents often more than they pay privately. Mostly it is only those in need of subsidies that have to go through the agencies. It is also very hard to fill all of your spaces because of the age restrictions if you have children of your own that will count in the ratios. In other words you would still only have 2-3 children from the agency at most and be paid less than if you had found the children privately. Not saying an agency isn't the best idea for you but please don't go into the relationship with them assuming they will be able to meet all of the things promised - ie don't count on it but be grateful if you luck out and have them fill all of your spaces right away.

Can you develop a relationship with your neighbor provider and ask her to refer you to the clients she turns away? Perhaps you could have her visit on a professional level so she can see your daycare and get to know you as a provider so she would be confident in referring you.

Also put out advertisements where new moms gather. Church bulletin boards, the local YMCA, fitness clubs etc.

You could also have an open house for prospective clients. Advertise this in your local paper or put a sign out on your front lawn.

Do you have a website? Have you posted an ad on all the daycare providers web sites? Tried Kijiji?

When you are out running errands, hand your business cards out to Moms of little ones. Even send a congratulations card to families who have announced their babies birth in the paper. Include your business card.

Doing these things will make you feel in charge of your life and business instead on hoping for the phone to ring. I haven't had a phone inquiry in months. I recently went to a product party and it was a providers heaven. Almost everyone had a baby on her lap and I picked up a client who had heard about me from the host, a current client of mine.

Also, review your interview techniques. Do you come off a little desperate or anxious.

I wish you all the best. I know, as most of us do, that these quiet times can really be a huge source of anxiety. Let us know how you are doing.