Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

I'm getting really tired of cranky, overtired children on Mondays :-(

Good morning!
    I have posted previously on how Mondays tend to run in my daycare. Some days I don't mind having a lazier more laid back day. Today has been a total write off so far.
    I have my own son who is 19 months and 3 other dck, 20 m, 18 m and 13 m.
    Today all 3 arrived at opening 7am miserable, clingy, not wanting to eat and I ended up putting them all back to bed. It worked out I suppose because then I got to spend some one on one time with my own lilttle guy.
    I got them all up at 8:30, I figured an hour and a half was enough and early enough to not interfere with nap. Nope... 2 out of 3 still crying, rubbing eyes and clingy not participating in anything. Back to bed those 2 went. I am so annoyed!
    On days when the kiddos are extra tired I do say something to their parents at pick up about how we couldn't do art and crafts or go outside because "X" was so tired the whole group missed out... etc. Then the parent usually has an explanation of some sort, had a rough night, was up late, etc. You would think these parents would get it!
    Does anyone else have this problem with kiddos being so overtired they have to go back to bed? What do you do or say?
    Thanks in advance.

Euphoric !
    I never put the kids to bed if they come cranky. I carry on with our day and just let them cry. I think the problem is the kids aren't in a proper routine and it is so important to keep them on it even if it means having to listen to screaming kids.

I have a 16 month old who is full-time and a 12 month old and 15 month old (usually never here at the same time). We only nap once a day (from 12:45-3) and I never let kids sleep past 3.

Hopefully your day goes better for you.
    Last edited by mickyc; 11-04-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Expansive...
    I have nothing constructive to say other than i feel your pain. I have this one little guy who started about a month ago, transition has been a little rough, not terrible but he is a clingy child and Mondays are difficult for him. I can tell that his mom was his entertainer 24/7 while she was on mat leave with him. It shows because he has difficulty playing on his own and always seems to need me to hold him or interact with him...so today has been a rough Monday for me too. To top it off my21 month old and my daughter are also cranky...is it Friday yet?

Euphoric !
    ugh, I feel for you!! Tired cranky kids are no fun and make for a long day. I used to do 2 naps a day when I had younger kids and it always seemed to work better. Generally, in my experience, children 18 months and under do better with 2 naps than 1 big one. I would maybe try to stick to that routine every day and see if that helps.

It does make outside time and art time a little more shorter but usually it's more enjoyable than having crying children. At that age, 30-60 minutes outside is plenty IMO and I would rather have the children happy and not over tired.

Expansive...
    I'm tired and cranky on Mondays too, ha ha! I have no problem having free play all day if needed.

I'm not sure why everyone would miss craft if one is cranky? Leave the cranky one out and carry on with your plans. If I read correctly all your kids are under 2 so really won't know if they do craft or not.

Why not just have a lazy day resting, ready stories etc.!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Outgoing

I'm glad that I am not alone in this :-)

Its just so frustrating. Most of the other days are fine and the ones that really need a morning nap still are fine with my usual 8-9 morning nap time then big afternoon nap 12-3 (can wake up after 2 if they wake up but MOST sleep the full 3 hours)
    Its been pretty crappy weather here this past while so today is pretty nice and I was hoping to take them out. Hard to do with some wanting to sleep longer or just be miserable because they have forgotten over the weekend how they have to wait their turn and share.
    I will do my usual at pick up and tell parents how their little one missed out on outside time and was crusty because they were so tired.
    All we can do!

Euphoric !
    Don't forget the time on the weekend for many of us. Kids are for sure totally lost routine wise and I found I was constantly adding an hour and say yes time for snack or lunch or nap based on what the time would have been last week.

Euphoric !
    I usually plan a quiet, unstructured day on Mondays to accommodate for extra tired little ones. If possible, we get outside in the morning and that usually brightens moods. Otherwise, I would just forget about crafts...if they are tired, they are not going to get anything out of it anyway and they are all pretty young. Read some stories, do some quiet activities, and make naptime earlier. That's how Mondays go for me most times

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Yes I do the same as sunny and the little one that is here is sleeping already Hope all is well
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 11-04-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    May I ask what crafts you do with toddlers that young? If they are crying- just forget about that- you're just adding to everyone's misery,,,I like the comments about chilling out and having a lazy Monday or Friday- sometimes that's all that's needed to make the day smoother,,, imo- children need less structure at that age, maybe that's why they're so cranky- let them play on their own. I wish my kids would all sleep 3 hours!! Lucky you! I have 1 that sleeps 1 hour, 1 that sleeps 1.5 hours and the other who can sleep 3,,, also I wouldn't put the older ones to sleep in the am- maybe just the 13 month old- the kids need to adapt to sleep time,,, hope your week gets better!