Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

2 children napping in the same room?

I had a new DCG start yesterday, so I did some juggling, and my two other nappers will be napping in the basement together starting tomorrow. Both have issues napping, but will sleep the full 2 hours about half the time. The other days, they both cry until I go and get them, with frequent check ins. I know this means that one will wake the other up most days, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid that they will work each other up and get each other more upset when I don't come and get them right away. Both have a couple of books and a toy in their bed. Does anyone have any tips for getting them to either sleep rest peacefully?

FYI, the new baby only sleeps for 40 minutes, which is why she is getting her own room...this is also something I'm working on. I also have 2 other older kids that don't nap, that watch a movie, but frequently get too loud and need supervision. So I can't spend all 2 hours in the basement with them until I get this sorted out. I've been keeping myself awake at night worrying about this

ETA: they are both almost 2

Euphoric !
    They may actually appreciate not being along and just laugh and entertain each other till they get tired and fall asleep - at least no screaming. I would put them in earlier than usual to allow for some interaction time, not worry if they get up and don't lay down and then just leave them for the full time. They will sort it out themselves and if one gets so tired they fall asleep the other one usually gets bored and does the same thing. If all is quiet at wake up time leave them till last knowing they didn't go to sleep quickly.

Are you able to set up a fan for white noise down there? Also, is there a way that you can set them up in opposite ends of the room with something blocking their view of each other? I have had children share a room and that's what I did. I never had any issues. Often one would wake up before the other and be talking to himself and the other little one would sleep through it. It helps having the fan in the room to block out noise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smileyface For This Useful Post:

I didn't think of a fan...I do have an extra one that I can use...thanks.

I can see sleeping through one of them talking to themselves, but the little boy has the loudest cry I have ever heard from a kid.

My H asked that my daughter have a playpen free room, or one of them would go in there. If this works out, then the new baby will be going down there as well, giving my son a playpen free room as well. Neither my H or I like that my daycare has taken over the whole house

Euphoric !
    What about just starting them all off down there now and that would free you to go down with them and keep them hushed. Yes ideal if you can separate them so they can not see each other but if not possible then still they will get used to all sleeping together and learn to sleep through the noise. Better to do it now then try to change routine later.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

That's a good point playfelt. I think I need to work on the new one's 45 minute nap habit first. I don't know if I'm good enough get 3 screaming tired 1 yr olds back to sleep when they've been woken up. It's something that I'm definitely working towards though.

Euphoric !
    I have had children who cry at naptime and I have found the best thing to do is to just let them cry it out. They will learn to fall asleep and the other children will learn to sleep through it. I do not allow anything in their playpens except for their blankie and a stuffy and/or a soother if needed. Are the books maybe keeping them awake or preventing them from falling back asleep?

The only time I go in is when one of my 2 year old's is not settling down. She will horse around about once a week and call out the other children's names. They sleep through it but when she is like that, I just go in and lay down on the bed in there and she falls asleep within 5 minutes and then I sneak back out.

I have 3 in the naproom and one in the laundry room which is on the way to the naproom. When I have my non-napper we come upstairs because she watches a movie or does her workbooks. I bought a video baby monitor and this works great!

apples and bananas
    I have 3 sleeping in the same room and I find they sleep better. I tell them " no talking " before I leave and I rarely have an issue. I also find that if one is asleep and another starts to fuss or cry even, the first one rarely wakes up.

I think if you are consistent, they'll get it. I don't allow toys or books. I allow one stuffy or sleep blanket if they want to bring one from home. In my mind, a toy or sleep blanket gives the idea that play is aloud.

If they wake each other up, too bad... they will be sleepy, but still keep them where they are for the full 2 hours.

I don't allow children to stop napping until the summer before they attend school.

Outgoing
    I have two little guys who sleep in the play room. I invested in black out curtains. I run the washroom exhaust fan to cut down on noise, and I have a curtain that separates the room. I find that between the fan and the curtain, they babble a little less with each other, get bored faster and fall asleep faster. One of these little guys wakes almost every day half way through nap, cries for 5 minutes and then goes back to sleep. The other little guy likes to wake early and babble and laugh. I find after being consistent with them they have gotten much better. The one who wakes learned how to self soothe instead of crying for a long period, and my babbler does so quietly and doesn't disturb the other boy.

Euphoric !
    I have all my kids sleep in one open space (the daycare is in the basement and is all open) and I don't have any issues. I put them down and leave them for 2 hours. I can see them on my video monitor but I rarely go downstairs during nap. They all sleep great. Sometimes one kid will wake up early but they have learned to quietly stay in the PNP/cot because they will be the last one allowed to get up and play after nap time if they are disruptive.

The room is mostly dark however I leave the light on above the stove so my 3.5 yr olds can read when they wake up.