Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Improper clothing issues

Arggghhhh.
    Is it really that difficult to send your child(ren) in the appropriate clothing??
    I have one particular boy who consistently comes in a coat he is unable to put on (no hood, which is apparently his only frame of reference used to put on his jacket?!?), and shoes that are the wrong size. He and brother have no snow pants, either.
    I have one boy who has a spring/fall jacket and toque, but no mitts that I can find, and definitely no snow pants.
    It may not be minus 20, but it is still chilly and mucky, with some snow on the ground.
    Another boy who takes 25 minutes to put on his outer gear, even though mom insists he does it all himself at home.

Today, everyone is going home wet and muddy.
    (I *may* be a little grouchy, due to the children's Halloween-hangover behaviour. Maybe.)
    ;p

But my question is:how do I let mom know that she is buying the wrong shoe size for her kid? I'm talking at least 2 sizes too big.
    I hate dealing with these stupid issues. I actually find it easier to say "Your kid is acting like an a-hole to the other kids, and we need to fix that". Just not in those words. LoL

Euphoric !
    I should clarify that I am certain it is not a monetary issue. I would be much more empathetic if that was the case.
    She bought boots. A size larger than my 6 year old wears currently. And the child is not yet 4.

Even when I know it could be a monetary issue I tell them they can get great snow suits from once upon a child or Kijiji second hand where is where I get most of my son's outdoor wear.

I would tell them "A was having difficulty walking, tripping constantly (or whatever is happening to the kid because of the wrong size). I think he needs smaller shoes" " B was crying because, whining, etc because it is too cold outside, I think he needs a winter jacket now" "C was great by dressing himself but now looks like he is getting behind because his jacket does not have a hood to guide him. He seems very frustrated". When parents hear that kids are uncomfortable, unable to play, walk, etc they usually act faster. I have all snow suits, mittens, hats and boots here and they will stay here until cold weather is over. We go out everyday for 2hrs so I must have everybody's proper outwear everyday.

I agree with Artsand crafts except for A's footwear. Footwear which is too small or too big is a hazard for the child. Young kids do not put out their arms to break their fall thus landing on their forehead usually. I would be forthright and tell the parent for safety sake, A needs to be in footwear that fit properly so A can run and walk properly.

Euphoric !
    This group of parents I have now have not been sending appropriate outside wear either. One child has everything she needs and the others have sent everything except for lined splash pants. I sent out my November newsletter two days ago with this reminder and emailed the parents today reminding them again. I will just keep doing so until they finally do it. I did state in today's email that they need splash pants/ski pants so that their child will stay warm. It is ridiculous that some parents need us to spell that out for them though!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I just sent home an amendment to my policies that if kids arrive without proper outdoor gear then they had until 10 am to either bring the forgotten items or else pick their child up for the day. Haven't had a problem since

Euphoric !
    Thanks all... Like I said, I hate dealing with silly stuff like "uh, your kid's feet are NOT that size". Sheesh. That's the stuff I shouldn't have to tell you???
    I may have to send people home without appropriate outerwear.
    Haven't had to do that in aaaaages......

Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    Thanks all... Like I said, I hate dealing with silly stuff like "uh, your kid's feet are NOT that size". Sheesh. That's the stuff I shouldn't have to tell you???
    I may have to send people home without appropriate outerwear.
    Haven't had to do that in aaaaages......
    I know how frustrating it is. Even I send letters to all parents very well in advance to start shopping around and get their outwear in time sometimes there is someone that don't bring the appropriate clothing when is needed.