Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I love the little ones too!! I have 4 little ones all the same age (a month or two difference) ~ they're 18mths, plus an almost 3 year old and my own 3 1/2 year old. It was tough at the beginning since they all started within a few weeks of each other, but once you get the hang of it, it's nice. These babies also transitioned very well which obviously helped A LOT! The older two are the ones that drive me batty!! Like SunnyDays says, they will end up growing up together and playing with each other. Buuutttt...I'm not looking forward to snowsuit season. groan.....

My assistant and I put snowsuits this morning to 3 dck (16 and 17mos) and a dcg that is 2yo. My son that is 2.5yo can put the snow suit and shoes himself and only needs help with the zipper. The 2 yo dcg is still learning to dress up and need a lot of assistance currently. We put pants to everybody first, then winter jackets to all of them and at last shoes and hats. Mittens we put them on when outside. I used to do this by myself and used the same system. It took a little longer, of course. They know the routine to go out and also know that they have to wait for their turn seating down to be dressed up.

I also prefer starting with babies than older kids since they usually adapt better to the routine, rules, meals, etc. I am currently looking to fill up one more spot and I am hoping that it will be a 1 year old.

Starting to feel at home...
    My daughter was 13 months when a 12 month joined us and they're like 2 peas in a pod now! Enjoy watching friendships grow!

Outgoing
    I definitely found when I had 2 one year olds, that I was much busier. One walked and one didn't so the non-walker was mostly in the stroller. It was hard getting all the kids out safely. Around this time one of my moms decided to pull out her 3 year old and put him in group daycare but she was also a difficult client to begin with. You will definitely need to change diapers more often. Having said all the negatives there is a greater demand for this age group and you can set the rate higher (at least that's how it worked for me!)

Euphoric !
    The higher rate for the younger ones helps and they eat less, and use very few craft supplies, thrive on repetition so less lessons to prepare as the same two activities or songs works for the whole week or more and you get them almost untarnished as in a lot less issues to undo before molding them to your liking. Love having all little ones and making the playroom like a giant playpen and just letting them loose - not a lot of choice with the amount of diaper changes and bottle feedings to do for some of them.

Euphoric !
    I was worried about this when I started because typically those looking for car are infants but I have been very lucky. My 2 kids when I started were 3 yo and 1. I signed on another 3 yo right away and another one yr old to start shortly after and another one 2 mos later. They were all spaced by 2 mos which probably makes a huge difference. The three little ones are super close and the neatest thing is they all try to keep up with each other developmentally so the littlest keeps up with the older 2. I also have another 3 yo now and another 1 yr old starting in Jan which I wanted as my youngest will then be 2.

Basically I think balance of ages is the most important so the kids have playmates etc. I am sure I would see a ton of beh and boredom from my 3 yo if she was with babies all day. I also kept it at no more then 3 under 2 yrs old.

Outgoing
    I have 3 1-year-olds total, 2 dcks plus my own. I have a double bike-trailer type stroller that fits all 3 of them to do school drop-offs and pickups, and a playpen in each of my older kids' rooms for naps, plus a row of 3 highchairs in my kitchen for lunch. Some things take some getting used to, like trying to get them all on the same schedule, and doing everything assembly-line style, but they entertain each other very well, and a previous poster was right-they don't need alot of craft materials or even alot of planning; they'll amuse themselves with just about anything (my tupperware drawer being the current favourite thing)

Just a question to other posters though - I'm in Ontario and not through an agency, but I was under the impression that even if you're not "licensed" through an agency, you still have to go by the 2 under 2 rule on top of your own kids. Is that not the case? Some of you have 4 kids under 2, for example, and as far as I understood it, even if you're private, you can't have more than 2 that young. I'm not trying to start anything, I'm honestly just wondering. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Expansive...
    CrazyEight....the rule only applies for agency run daycares. All 5 of my dcks are under 2.

Euphoric !
    I think I'd go crazy with 5 under 2 LOL How do you do it??

Euphoric !
    I love having little ones.
    When I re-opened, my daughter was 18m and I took in a 16m old, 3.5 yr old, and a 12m old (p/t). The babies still had 2 naps (the older ones just took a shorter AM nap), so it left lots of time to do "big kid" stuff. Now that they are all 2, or almost 2, I long for those quieter days.
    Admittedly, leaving the house can be a bit of a challenge. I think it depends on your set-up. I have a large coatroom, and can bring everyone in and dress them assembly-line style.