Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

Caring for 2 one year olds?

I am interviewing for 2 one year olds and I am wondering if I am crazy.

The one child would be 12 months in January when they start. They would come 5 days/weel
    The other child would start in December and also be 12 months old in January but only come 2 days a week

Is it crazy to have a daycare with 5 kids where two kids are 12 months old and together on certain days?

I think I could do it because it is PT for one of them but have others done two one year olds and how did you find it? Was it driving you to drink? lol

Euphoric !
    I started off with 2 almost one year olds (8 and 10 months) and two 2 year olds (so only 4) and it wasn't bad but I don't want to do it again LOL. The 2 youngest didn't walk at the time. Getting outside was a pain in the butt as we had to go upstairs and then downstairs outside and it was winter. That first winter(I opened up 2 years ago in a November) we didn't get out much! The parents understood this and weren't concerned with it. At 8 and 10 months it's not like they did a lot outside anyways!

I did art one at a time than and the 2 youngest needed help eating a bit....things like soup, yogurt, casseroles etc. I would feed one a few bites of food while the other drank their drink or chewed on a cracker while waiting. We did a lot of free play.

It's doable but it can be a lot of work, especially if they are not good at napping. I had them nap in separate rooms for quite a few months because they both cried when I first put them down. They both still had 2 naps and I actually was kinda sad when it went down to one even though it allowed us to do so much more!

You will find a routine that works for you and it will all work out
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 11-07-2013 at 07:35 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Ohhh that sounds tough. This is my third year but wrestling babies into snowsuits is not fun - ever. I hadn't even thought of that x 2

The only thing that makes me tempted to do it is that one of the babies would only be here 2 days a week. I could grin and bear it two days a week ...possibly

Euphoric !
    I also had my cousin come over a few times and she would help me get them all outside so that we weren't stuck inside all winter!! My fiance now works evenings so he's around during the day when I need him.

2 days isn't bad....I think you can do it!! Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

The maximum amount of 1 years old (between 8 to 15 mos) I have had is 4 (including my son). It wasn't that bad since they started some weeks or months apart and when the next ones started the ones already here were used to the routine and our ways. They started during spring so I did not have to worry about snow suits. However, I recently (June) transitioned three 1 year olds on the same date (only one of them one week before) and that was real a pain in the behind. The crying and fussing was multiplied by three at the same time. After 4 or 6 weeks everything went to quiet. I hired an assistant to come in the mornings during transition days so the older ones did not have to miss out outdoor time because of the little ones and me neither since it was the time when I needed fresh air the most. She was such a great help.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 11-07-2013 at 08:45 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I've almost always had two babies at a time and it works well. They grow together and end up playing together down the road. My max is 3 under the age of two and even when I have 3 it is totally doable. Everyone is different, but I would go for it if I were you!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    As usual...I'm the oddball ha ha!! I have 5 full time dck all under 19 months plus my own 17 month and 3 year olds. I love my group! It obviously depends on you and the kids that you have.

Euphoric !
    For myself it would all depend on if they both are walking or not. If one is walking and one isn't that isn't too bad but if they both are not walking I don't think I would. I currently have a 12 month old (part-time) and a 16 month old (full-time). The 12 month old doesn't walk and I couldn't imagine having to cart around 2 kids who didn't walk yet.

Outgoing
    I think it depends on your set-up and your routine and your ability to cope - haha! Right now there is now way I would take on 2 babies but I am in a bit of a rut. Some things to consider: Getting the kids dressed to go outside - how to ensure that one is safe while you are getting the others dressed. Actually transporting or 'herding' the kids to the outdoor playspace - can you do it by yourself or do you have to carry one out, leave ne unattended and then come back for the second one? and what are your other kids doing during that time? I find that even if they are walking it is still really hard to get them to go where you want them to at that age.
    Another thing is the question of how well the part-timer will adapt to the daycare routine considering he/she is part-time.
    I'm no sure what the ages are of the other kids you have but right now I have 4 kids under 2.5 - all in diapers and I am constantly changing diapers and re-directing behaviour. It is NOT fun!!!

Shy
    I actually prefer the little ones! I would rather deal with cranky babies compared to lippy 3-4yr olds, but maybe it's just me who back talk drives berserk?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmoni For This Useful Post: