Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Christmas idea I want to share

Every year I purchase a mini artificial evergreen tree for each of my dck's to decorate. I usually purchase the trees at the dollar store, but was not too impressed with the quality last year. This year I found them at Fortino's grocery store for 2 dollars each.
    I get the miniature decorations at the dollar store and I put the selection into a large bowl. Everyday, beginning December 1, the kids get to pick an ornament to put on their tree. Sometimes we will make a little ornament, but usually they will pick something from the bowl (depend on the age of your group)
    The kids absolutely look forward everyday to "decorate their tree time" and are so proud of their tree. At our Christmas party they get to take them home.
    Just thought I would share this fun activity as even your youngest kids can participate.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Was thinking of getting one of the smaller 4 foot trees to put in the playroom for them to play with ie put stuff on and off and thought that might distract them from my tree.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    That's a great idea!! I might have to do that this year.

I decorate a little tree and have it on a shelf and then last year I made a felt tree with felt ornament decorations that I put on the wall and they loved decorating it every day.

Our main tree is upstairs in our living room and I bring them up to look at it at the end of the day and they get to look at it with the lights on. Last year I had later kids so it was dark out but this year they all leave by 430 so probably won't be as fun lol

I am always surprised by the fact that my dck's are respectful of my tree. Sure, I will see a little hand reach out to touch an ornament, so I will just say "look with your eyes only please" and they do.
    when I was 4 I knocked over our Christmas tree twice in one hour. Just curious, and of course that is what happens when pregnant Mom has a nap leaving me to my own devises. Ah, the good old days eh? Haha

apples and bananas
    I love that Christmas tree idea. I don't have a consistent bunch every day ( some part timers ) so it's not something that would work for me.

But I have been thinking about gifts. This year I'm on a very tight budget and due to all of my part timers I'm going to have be really tight on presents for the wee ones this year. I'm thinking of home made scented play doh with some dollar store play doh shapes wrapped all nice and fancy.

I'm stuck on gifts from the kids to the parents though.

Any ideas anyone? I'm thinking finger print ornaments. Fingers in play doh baked and ready to hang?

Expansive...
    Cool idea, I bet the kids get really excited picking an ornament each day...like an advent calendar!

Starting to feel at home...
    I love the mini tree idea! I'll have to try that sometime! The felt tree is also a great idea- I have a felt board downstairs screaming Christmas tree!!! apples and bananas this year I'm going to revisit a kid to parent gift that's worked in the past. I print out a blank copy of a calendar for the coming year for each child. I make sure that there is a blank space above it and where we do artwork. One month might be a drawing, one month might be a painting, one month might be a glued together picture of something like a Christmas tree (December) and so on.. I try to theme along the way. The cover will have a picture of the child with hand prints. Takes a lot of time, especially with the part timers, but the parents have always loved it in the past!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I love the calendar gift idea!!! I wonder if I have enough time to do that still?? For child to parent gifts in the past(including christmas,father/mothers day) we have done their hand prints on a christmas ball, hand prints on coffee mugs, homemade bbq sauce, scented oil and bath salts, picture frames, bird houses, jewelery boxes. I haven't given much thought to this year's gift but I think I may do the calendar, thanks for the idea!!!

I usually only spend $5-$10 per child on a christmas gift and this year I lucked out big time! Target had a great toy clearance sale and I got $20-$25 toys for $5-10! I even stocked up for their birthday gifts. I have only had to buy for 4-8 children though and I do buy a gift for the sibling as well. This year I only have 6 to buy for, which helps the wallet!

Euphoric !
    Daisy123....I printed off a blank monthly calendar for every month and I highlighted the STATS that I am closed. I might even mark down my holidays if I can decide before December!

I am going to get the kids to make pictures for every month but I am wondering how you attach it all? I was thinking I would try to find somewhere local that attaches the coil spine (like a cookbook) but I was thinking that may be expensive so then I thought I would just hole punch it and thread yarn so that they can flip the calendar open.

Any ideas??

Outgoing
    I really love this idea, mimi! I did the calculations though and it is a bit too much $$ so think I will find a way for us to make most of our ornaments for our tree! Thank you for the great idea!