Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    I have two parents off today because one works in a bank and the other works for the city and it is a day off for them but both of their kids are here because they are paying anyway! . I don't understand why this day isnt a stat across the country. Our former premier once suggested making it a stat here in Ont but he said in order to do that he would have to take away Family Day in February. HUH? Alberta gets both so why should we be different. I am not bitter about it because i am open anyway but it just doesnt make sense that government offices and banks are closed but nothing else, not even the schools.

Expansive...
    I actually don't mind it when a parent sends their child and takes a day for themselves. Obviously, if it happened constantly then I might get a little peeved. But back in the day when my oldest attended daycare, every now and then I would take a day off just for myself to get whatever the heck I wanted to get done, or get NOTHING done at all I don't think it's a bad thing for parents to want occasional alone time, especially if they know that their children are in good hands.

That being said, I wish today were a stat too!! My husband is a gov't employee so he had today off, it would have been nice to have some quality time with him

The colds though...and missing your child's assembly, that stinks I would be frustrated too!

I get needing some "me" time. I totally understand a parent wanting a day or partial day off to do something for themselves. It's normal. It's healthy to invest in ourselves once in awhile and I don't think it's any of our business what they do as I am contracted for the time. It's also good for the child to stay on routine. With only 5 dck's if one or two is missing, then it makes for a looong day as the other dck's miss their friends and don't have much choice when pairing up in two's or three's.

On the other hand, when a parent starts to use your daycare as a dumping ground for their child(ren) and spend most of their time not working, but still using daycare to avoid actually parenting, then I have a problem with that. Totally different thread. But that's the extreme. I've had that client as well...so on the other hand a parent taking today for some personal time, who do it once in awhile....Good for them!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    Oh, this discussion has been had time and time again on the boards.... LoL
    Personally, I don't mind if a parent brings their child by when they are not working, IF they are in general a "good" daycare parent.If you have paid on time, shown up at drop off and pick up on time, and are generally respectful, I don't really begrudge you that extra time to yourself. Good heaven, if you have paid for the day, I certainly understand wanting to get some value out of that. HOWEVER, all of my parents understand that their fee (calculated and paid on a montly schedule) pays for a space in my daycare. I don't think I have any nickle-and-dimers right now, thank goodness.
    However, I have had the type of parent that OtherMummy mentioned. The one that would rather spend the day with her new boyfriend for 9.75 hrs, and leave her 3 children (all of whom knew that Mama had the day off) with me. Sheesh, that was 3 years ago, and it still gets to me. But only because it was part of a larger problem I had with her, in that our core family/parenting values did not match up.
    Hope you had an easy chicken soup and movie afternoon type of day!!

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    When I was working outside the home and had my DD in daycare, I would occasionally take a day off for myself and send DD to daycare. I didn't feel guilty about it....I enjoyed the time to myself and I knew that my daughter was having a great time with her friends. So I don't mind when my dcp do it ~ that's what they're paying me for.