Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    apples and bananas

School trips - how do you manage it.

The one thing I love about being a provider is that I work for myself! The one thing I hate about being a provider (sometimes) is that I work by myself.

For those of you that have little ones of your own at home, how do you balance the school trips, volunteering in the class room, track and field days, assembly's. etc

How do you keep your own child content with your involvement in school, but keep your clients happy with your hours.

Euphoric !
    Do you have a spouse who can do the school things with your child? Do you have a friend or family member who can look after your daycare for you to be involved a few days a year with your child in school?

Expansive...
    I don't know, but I doubt that not being able to do school stuff with your child is limited to providers. There are plenty of parents out there who can't just take time off work for this stuff. You could pick a few activities per year at which you would like to volunteer and use your vacation days for those...honestly I hate to sound prejudice or anything but I always thought that doing these sort of things was mostly for stay at home moms, although I know I myself would like to take 1-2 days off this year to volunteer at some activities.

Currently I have an assistant that can stay here with the kids by herself as a back up if I need a couple of hours for doctor's appointments, etc. Before that I had a on call back up and only paid her for the hours she stayed with the kids when I could not be here (I had to adjust my appointments a bit to her schedule, of course and tell her well in advance). She was out of the workforce for 8 years. Before that she worked for 10 years at a daycare center and as a nanny on and off. She also worked with me a few weeks (when I had multiple transitions at a time). I would do something like that for when my son goes to school, either permanent assistant or on call back up.

Euphoric !
    Sometimes, when we feel badly about something, our vision regarding the situation is a little skewed. I feel the same way about volunteering at my children's school, or being able to pick the kids up and pop over to the mall after school, etc. Seems like everywhere I look are smiling, happy Stay-at-homes with perfect hair and nails, and HOURS of free time on their hands. LoL
    In reality, most parents are probably in the same boat as you, in that they cannot take the time off work easily, either. I do find it difficult to book doctor/dentist appts, because I can't just take an long lunch break or leave a little early.
    Currently, my hubby is working from home, which makes things approximately one-million-times easier for me. He can pop out to the store if I am missing something for lunch or craft, or he can stay home while I run an errand or appointment during nap. Previous to this, though, I would find a back-up (usually my sis-in-law, or in a pinch, my mom) for an hour and a half at nap/quiet time. I would always ensure that the parents were aware/okay with this.