Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Euphoric !

What to do?

So, I am not in this for the long term. I am doing this as a means to an end while my kids are young, however I am enjoying it.

A great job opportunity has presented itself but the timing isn't right. I was contacted about a job opening from someone who works at a place I am interested in working at. They told me however that they need someone ASAP and this would mean that things would move quickly. I figured I would do daycare until Sept when my oldest is in kindergarten. How have other people handled new job opportunities like this? I would need to give notice to my families (currently I give one months notice but I am in the process of changing this to 2 weeks), find daycare for my own kids, buy a car etc etc.

I told the person that the timing wasn't right but I wonder if the timing will every be right? Daycare does not make it easy to attend a job interview or even move quickly as so many people are relying on me.

These jobs come by very infrequently so it is not like I can just plan to close next Sept and find this job easily.

Also, I am on an unpaid leave for a year from my current employer. I do not have the home daycare on my resume but I am wondering if finding employment before this leave is up is more beneficial to me as I am still "employed?"

What are people's thoughts on this? Thanks.

Firstly, in my opinion, think of you and your family first. What will make you happy? Jobs are hard to come by and if you've found something you will really enjoy...an even more rare thing these days. It might be great timing now to transition your oldest into a program outside your home that more resembles a school atmosphere/routine...it will make it much easier come September when school starts? Just my thoughts
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    I think you need to stop and take a look at the new job opportunity and decide if that is something you see yourself being happy doing for the long term. While it is flattering to be asked take a moment to sit down with the practical. Figure out what your take home pay would be, the expenses you would have for childcare and see if the job still makes sense to you. As to the car can you use public transportation in the meantime meaning you can delay that expense or do you have a significant other that could take the bus and give you the car etc. Point here is to decide if you can make it work.

It does sound like you are seeing the current opportunity as something that is a one chance take it now or lose it forever thing and that may be one of the most important factors in the sense that if that falls into place then you can make the rest of it work out.

I think you are right in thinking that the timing is never going to be perfect and no matter when it happens you are going to have to make quick decisions and some that you would rather not make. I think it would be worse to return to your old job and then suddenly leave for a better job than it is to go from leave to a new job.

Outgoing
    I recently had this happen to me and I ended up taking the job and closing down my daycare. I just figured although the timing isn't perfect, I would probably not get this opportunity again. Since I was not in this for the long haul, like you, I decided to do what would make me happier in the long run.
    Good luck with whatever you decide!

Starting to feel at home...
    It's a tough choice and you need to consider what's best for you and your family. If it's a great opportunity and may not present itself again, it's definitely worth seriously considering. I've found in life things rarely occur at exactly the 'right' time in our
    Minds. But most things happen for a reason. All the best!

Starting to feel at home...
    With all of the upcoming proposed changes to the un-licensed home daycare, I would take the job. It will be very challenging for you at the beginning. In the long term a better decision for you and your family. Best wishes

Since daycare is not a long term business for you I would definitely consider taking the job. Sure, you will be paying daycare expenses yourself and have to purchase a vehicle so the monetary part may not be a boom right now, but if this job has long term potential I would take it.
    Good luck with your decision.

I agree to do what you think will makes you happy and whatever is your decision be prepared for the consequence. If I would really wanted to get out of home daycare I would take it.

I have an ex-coworker that had a very good position and offered me a job a year ago as an engineer after 5 years with a big gap in my resume because I have been doing daycare. I think he offered me the job because he knows me. I think otherwise it would have been harder to get an offer like that out of the blue. I declined since I am here for the long run until my son is out of high school. With my previous schedule it would be hard for me to have good quality family time. I doubt an opportunity like that will present itself that easy again. My friend had moved to USA now. So if for whatever reason I need to go back to work outside I will have to work hard to get in.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 10-28-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Euphoric !
    Thank you! It is so helpful to hear from other people in the business.

I have decided to wait and not apply for a few reasons. It was only an offer to apply (not a job offer or an interview even) from someone who isn't a part of the hiring committee so this was not a "sure thing." She told me that if it isn't the right time or if I couldn't start right away not to apply as it would hurt my chances down the road to get hired if I turn them down.

I wasn't looking for something right now and I don't think I am ready to close up shop.

I have wanted to work for this company for a long time and postings are few and far between, however with all the pending retirements in the next couple of years I am hopeful something else will come along.

This whole thing got me thinking though. I am in the process of changing my contract a bit. Does anyone require a month's notice from families but only offer 2 wks notice from the caregiver? I currently have it as a months notice for both parties however this isn't realistic when it comes to job hunting down the road.

Euphoric !
    I doubt you would get parents to agree to having to give you more notice then you have to give them. At the same time the notice is meant for changes to daycare such as parent quitting or changes such as raising fees or changing hours and people need adjustment time.

When it comes to quitting daycare and taking a job it simply comes down to just telling your parents what is happening and giving as much notice as you can and maybe a list of friends with openings and really there isn't anything the parents can do about it other than get upset.

Once you get to the point where you are looking for a job you will probably also start to wind down your daycare in the sense of if you want a job for Sept not filling an opening that comes available in May.

I have had calls from parents who were told on a Friday that they had no care starting Monday because the caregiver got a job and just up and quit. Really there isn't anything the parents can do.