Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bottles at Nap

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Well if you disagree with it then just cut it out yourself.... Or just put water in the bottle then there's no rotting teeth and no smelly playpens. You will have a few days of crying through transitioning but if you stand your ground it wont last long. I also cut out soothers as soon as possible too ... They disgust me.
    YES! They are filthy! I only use them for naptime here. I hate when the kids open their mouths for me to pop it in! I usually just hand it to them to do themselves. Hahaha!

Euphoric !
    This is another case where we have to make a decision of where our responsibilities lie. I know the parents pay our fee and have the right to parent as they want but I really wonder when our loyalty needs to pass to the child and that for those brief hours I have control of the child I let them grow up, learn new skills etc. - having a child use a cup or use the potty, fingerpaint or pile blocks is no different when you think about it. It is all part of "teaching" the child.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks playfelt. I agree. The one mom babies her children so much. The dad told me today that the 4 year old has trouble with her zipper so could I please do it for her. I have taught her to do it but she doesn't like to because it takes her a few tries. Her parents dress her. Needless to say when it came for outside time I still made her do it herself and surprise surprise she did it all alone.

So after lunch today I gave both kids their bottles in their highchair. The 12 month old only drank a little bit and was done. The 15 month old drank most of his bottle (formula). He cried for a bit when I put him for nap but did go to sleep. The 12 month old went right to sleep without her bottle. I likely won't tell their mom's.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    that's awesome, mickyc! good job!

Euphoric !
    gravy train....I agree. I actually think the mom finally gave up the bottle at about 3 or 3.5? I can't remember but he was old!! lol

I allow soothers but they stay in their playpen and if they grab it at naptime than that is fine but I don't give it to them. They don't gross me out......sucking on thumbs gross me out!! haha It's also a lot easier to take away the soother than it is to take away the thumb! I went to school with a girl who sucked her thumb until like grade 4!!! It was odd....

Euphoric !
    Hi jacking your post somewhat.... one of my biggest pet peeves is parents who send their kids to care, and they CANNOT HOLD THEIR OWN BOTTLE, let alone a cup. Arrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!! !
    Who do you figure is going to sit down with your child, and hold it for them? ME, or the 5 other children under 5 that I am caring for? Ugh.
    Sorry, had to get that out. LoL. This seemed like an appropriate thread.
    I think you did exactly the right thing. And it worked!

Euphoric !
    Think that is a common peeve for sure. I harken back to the days of 6 month mat leaves then baby came to care and grew up. Now moms spend the first 6 months pushing their kids to do it first over the neighbour's kid and then the next 6 months undoing the child's attempts because they don't want to lose their baby or they just don't know any better.

Starting to feel at home...
    I am with mickyc on this one. I have a little boy who is 12 months, just started with me, and uses a bottle twice a day for naps. Once he is used to my home, I'm going to give him his bottle at the table and put him down for naps without a bottle.

Euphoric !
    Nap went fantastic today. Other than the 15 month old with a bit of crying he finally went to sleep. They both slept the full time. I am going to do bottles at the table for a week and then start dumping it into the sippy cup. I won't be telling the mom's though.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I won't allow a child to take a bottle to bed mostly because the drips make the bedding and play pen a mess. I use my daycare furniture everyday and I need it to last a long time, so I try to take very good care of it. So, when I have a client who says that this is what happens when they interview, I advise them to break the habit at home, otherwise the transition will be much harder on the child when they start here.

As far as having bottles long term. It's their child and it's not up to me to discuss tooth decay, transitioning out of the bottle etc with the parent. That's their choice. However, if it effects my day I will change them to a sippy and I will let the client know.