Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

Christmas on a budget this year

I always get my daycare kids something for Christmas. I also do a gift from the child to the parents. I have traditionally spent $10 on each child, $15 on my b/a school child. So I usually get away with $60 - $70 and I'm done. This year I have a few part timers and a cross over over the Christmas season so I have 7 to buy for this year. ( they aren't all here at the same time of course ) 2 are school age which usually translates to a little bit more $$.

I'm trying to find ideas for a DIY gift for the kids. I was thinking scented play doh with dollar store play doh cutters all done up in a nice package. I'm at a bit of a loss for the big kids.

I was also thinking about a fingerprint neckless made just like the handprints, but smaller of course. This is good for mom, but doesn't really cover the dads.

Anyone have any amazing (cheap) ideas for gifts for the kids and gifts from the kids to the parents?

Expansive...
    Personally I don't do gifts for the kids. I know for my own, they get so much crap for Xmas it's ridiculous, and I think most kids get plenty of gifts too. Although for their birthdays i will do a very small gift, and spend between 5-10$ (usually a book or coloring book) for Christmas I send each family home with cookies I've baked and a nice card and that's it. I think doing lots of fun activities and crafts in December is expensive enough to begin with, but really I find it's all the kids need.

Shy
    I just buy them a book and maybe a little treat bag ( Christmas cookies). I just ordered a set of 12 Christmas books from scholastic for $20, I will pick out 6 for the children and I will keep the rest for the daycare.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mlv For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I like the scholastic idea, I did it for Halloween. I bought a set of 10 books for 9.99. I gave them 2 each wrapped in orange ribbon and put a home made tag on it that said "happy Halloween" So much better then giving them candy, in my opinion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I've made up little coloring page packages with a few pages to go with the holiday and a few markers - tie it with a ribbon and it's done! I also saw an idea on Pinterest to do homemade play dough in Christmas flavores (peppermint, evergreen, hot chocolate) and give it in a jar. I think I might do that instead... Send it as a "few of your favorite things" from the day home.

I usually do birthday gifts but I'm also finding it a bit much to do Christmas, considering the cost of craft materials and special treats, as well as having to get gifts for the whole family.

Euphoric !
    I make a lot of the resources we use in the daycare and often I make things we use such as at Halloween I had finger puppets I used for poems and songs and they got turns to use them. I then let each one take one home and gave them a page with a couple of the things on it we had done. It is a way to let parents know what we are doing, gives them something I know they don't have and costs very little especially when they are now "used". Problem I run into of course is I always have to remember to make more each year.

Expansive...
    I won't be giving presents either, but we will be doing fun activities and I will probably do something like make and decorate cookies with them and then we will eat them together - perhaps they can decorate some extras to take home and share. I would rather spend my time, effort and money on doing things with the kids than sending home stuff that I don't even know will be used or enjoyed. I don't give birthday presents either, though we do have a small celebration on the day. The only parent gifts I do are for Mother's day and Father's day.

The daycare provider I used for my first daughter actually had parents buy birthday presents for the other daycare kids, so we had to buy presents for kids we didn't even know. And my daughter was only a year old so she didn't know what was going on. My daughter got presents as well from the other dc parents, but I really didn't find it necessary. It was optional, but we felt obligated to participate. Does anyone else think that is a strange thing to do?

Outgoing
    Yes, that's a strange thing to do and puts a lot of pressure and possibly financial strain on other families.
    Personally, I think less is more. Last year the parents received a Christmas ornament their child made and all of the christmas theme crafts we had been doing and I really feel that this was sufficient. I give the children a copy of a book that they enjoy reading in daycare for their birthday. Parents want to know that their child is well taken care of and is having fun in your care - the crafts show them that, in my opinion.
    When my oldest attended a daycare centre we always received handmade gifts and I still cherish them. I pull them out every Christmas and display them in my home.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by gravy_train View Post
    Yes, that's a strange thing to do and puts a lot of pressure and possibly financial strain on other families.
    Personally, I think less is more. Last year the parents received a Christmas ornament their child made and all of the christmas theme crafts we had been doing and I really feel that this was sufficient. I give the children a copy of a book that they enjoy reading in daycare for their birthday. Parents want to know that their child is well taken care of and is having fun in your care - the crafts show them that, in my opinion.
    When my oldest attended a daycare centre we always received handmade gifts and I still cherish them. I pull them out every Christmas and display them in my home.
    Yes, I agree. I would much rather just send home the arts and crafts that the children make.

Euphoric !
    Pinterest has lots of good ideas for DIY gifts. One of my favourites to do and give away was baskets filled with ice cream toppings and cones with a little note that said 'just add ice cream". I used it as a going away gift for 3 families and they all loved it and said it wouldn't be wasted. It also helped that they all left at the beginning of summer so ice cream was sure to be had!

In the past I have gotten great gifts from the families for Christmas, my birthday, ECE week and going away gifts so I like to return that. I give the kids Christmas and birthday gifts and treat bags for halloween, easter and valentines day. Depending on my income during those times affects the price. I enjoy giving gifts though so I do plan for it throughout the year to help.

I can't imagine any parent not loving anything you and the kids make