Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    now to make it more complicated:

recently split mom is offering to barter (she says she feels terrible about everything and while she can't pay financially she is offering her time)

She is offering to watch providers kids so provider and hubby can have time away for 4 hours once a week, clean providers home once a week

ewww that can turn horrible. If this provider decides to do this with the mom, make sure they make up a contract and both to sign, with a witness. Otherwise, it can get ugly!

Outgoing
    As heartless as it may seem, I agree with the previous posts suggesting that business and friendship should remain seperate. There is no room for favours in a business. I think that she should cut her losses with this family and suggest she find a more affordable daycare because cleaning the house does not pay provider's bills. Money does!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with Judy, if you start this when do you stop? I let the parents know that I need to supplement the family income, if I did not I would not charge at all. My family relies on my income.
    In BC we have a subsidy system and if you are not able to afford daycare the Provincial government will help. All you need to do is make a phone call, go in for an interview and you will get a percentage of your daycare fees paid for. I charge the parent for anything shortage in the subsidy paid to me.
    Have the parent call to find out any information from the provincial government.

Starting to feel at home...
    I was in a situation like this one December of last year...The dad wouldn't pay until the courts told him to and the mom couldn't afford the full fees on her own...long story short the courts told him he had to pay half. mom was always on time with her half and if she wasn't she told me as soon as she knew she was going to be a day or two late, dad on the other hand never paid on time....EVER!!! the courts made their decission in January I terminated mid May after yet again being informed at 9pm that payment was not coming... it was so frustrating and stressfull going through those 6 months...i would say 'I'm sorry but this isn't personal, it's business. You wouldn't put up with your work not paying you when they're supposed to so why should I..."

I wouldn't ever go there again! 3 strikes, late payments, and you're out....Sorry!

I have made concessions i.e., one parent is laid off so kept the child a couple of days a week rather than full time at a reduced rate, when the parent was back to work the pay rate went back up, loved the child and turned out fine... was worth the dip in pay but... In another situation, it blew up in my face to the point the parents paid what they felt like paying.... have to really weigh it out... and honestly try to to daycare for friends it gets awkward at a certain point although after 15 years I have another friends child.... everytime I think it will be different guess I need to get tougher lol.

In Ontario we have subsidy too, but it is a 3 year waitlist in our area, all regions are different but I don't think there are any regions that do not have a wait list... unless you are in a dangerous situation, that is a long time, for a single Mom to foot the bill herself... especially since "we girls" just don't seem to have the same high paying employment many of the "dads" do sound as though the BC programme is better