Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I use clorox/lysol wipes for anything that can't be submerged in water. I also use them to clean the toy shelfs, the toy buckets, the play kitchen, light switches and doorknobs. I use them to clean the playpens too.

I wash the little people and just let them air dry over the weekend and put them away Monday morning. I have also seen that you can hot glue gun the hole on toys and I might do that. I saw it on pinterest for water toys but I'm sure it work for little people too.

I don't have that many stuffies just because I hate washing them and for the most part, they aren't really played with here. However, when I do have them out and need to wash them I just throw them in with the same load as the crib sheets, the kids blankets, pillow and couch covers. They have always washed fine and then I just let them dry over the weekend but I'm sure they would be fine in the dryer. If there are stuffies with batteries and can't be machine washed I just use a hot wash cloth with a bit of laundry soap and scrub it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I go overboard !!! Every night I wash all blankets I use (in the playpens) and wash the playpens down with a disinfecting wipe . All my tables and chairs and all my big toys are wiped down as well . I sweep and wash all the mats on the floor, the bathroom is done twice daily and the potty is wiped down each use . I throw the stuffies in the washer and dolls about twice a month .

Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    Sorry if this sounds silly, but I am hoping to learn how to simplify things. How do you clean toys that can't be submerged in water? I'm thinking mostly of my toys with batteries, and all the fisher price little people that would get water stuck inside of them. And do stuffed animals survive the washing machine?

I use Clorox Anywhere daily sanitizing spray. It is approved for kids and pets and does not need to be rinsed. There are Numerous reports that this is suitable for use where people suffer from asthma and environmental allergies as it doesn't aggravate. I have to buy it from the states and fortunately I live close enough to the border to go collect it from us address but even if I didn't I would just pay for shipping into Canada as it is a necessary business expense and I order it in a box of 9 at a time.

I use it on toys that can not be submerged, play pens, if there is a toileting accident on the carpet following scrubbing with regular hot soap and water I spray after to make sure I kill everything.

Here is a link if anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would never use any kind of chemical household cleaner on something that a child would potentially put in there mouth. A lot of them build up regardless of how well you rinse too and it is not good even in very small doses. I use a natural cleaner, really all plant based ingredients, for my regular cleaning which is safe for kids and then the hard surface sanitizer as stated above for my less frequent disinfecting. I also don't disinfect to frequently unless there is illness as it's actually a necessity for the kids to be exposed to germs in order for their immune systems to become strong. Potentially the more often you disinfect the more likely they are to get sick and more often.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am not a big believer in ton of cleaning. I vacuum and steam mop once a week. I only really clean the toys if someone is sick or I see it go in the mouth. The kids in my program are rarely sick. Wash the table with soap and water after meals etc but definitely not a clean freak.

Expansive...
    I've been thinking a lot about disinfecting lately too with the cold and flu season kicking in. I used a bleach solution daily last winter and it did NOTHING to keep us from getting sick. We were sick ALL winter. I really didn't like bleach because I ruined some of my clothes with it and I hate the smell even if it's pretty diluted. So this year I am going with vinegar as my daily go-to to wipe down the table and chairs and booster seats. I use Lysol wipes for the change pad and the bathroom daily. And on weekends I take out the bleach in a spray bottle and spray everything down, and and fill a tub with water and bleach and throw our most used toys in there to disinfect. Bedding gets washed every weekend. Each child has his/ her own face cloth that gets replaced daily. I vaccum daily but I have a dog. I worked so hard to keep everything clean last year, to no avail...I hope this year is a better year!

Euphoric !
    I have to say I likely don't clean as much as I should. That being said my house is clean! I always sweep the floor where we eat daily, wash it on Friday afternoons. I try and vacume once a week. I usually put bleach in my dish water once a week to sanitize all the kids dishes. As for cleaning the toys, well I really don't. That would take me a whole week I have so many. I usually just spray as much as I can with Lysol one a week. I always get the kids to wash their hands before and after we eat, go to the bathroom, play outside etc. I don't let the little ones put stuff in their mouths as much as I can. I usually wash bedding 2x a month or if there is an illness going through (the kids never share bedding). I do a thorough cleaning of the bathroom once a week but will clean it more often if it requires it. For that I use Lysol wipes.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    When I worked in daycare centres we had to disinfect toys daily on a toy rotation. We had a notebook that we would write in so we knew what had been cleaned the day before. I can't remember what we used but it was a mixture of cleaning solution with water.

I am private so have no laws/regulations to follow in regard to cleaning. I clean the toys once a week unless there has been illness. I use clorox/lysol wipes and also sometimes fill the tub or sink with a bleach/water mixture and throw the toys in there. I sweep after each meal and wipe down the table and chairs. The potty gets cleaned after each use. I have one change pad and clean it after each change. (I like the idea of each child having their own but don't have the room for that. Amanda do you use the small fold up kinds? I think I might do that and keep it in their individual drawers).
    Yes, I use the fold up ones that have the white plastic on one side. They don't take up much space at all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Ladies I wanted to share these video's with you.... I find this works very well for me and is a wonderful money saver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-QkmadwJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ciahsfuzXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNw07pRdNrs

If you do not like the vinegar smell... Add essential oils

Also Dish soap is an awesome cleaning agent~!!

Oh I love this channel

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I totally forgot to include my most important " sanitizer" as part of my cleaning routine and those are E-CLOTHS! Google it, they disinfect and remove bacteria naturally without chemicals, you just use water! I use them in conjunction with vinegar to wipe everything down. There are other brands that do the same thing, one is called Enjo but it's much pricier. Check it out ladies!

Outgoing
    Has anyone tried melaleuca products? There is one I bought (sol-u-guard botanical), is supposed to be safe for kids and pets, and if left on for 10 minutes, is supposed to kill 99% of household germs and bacteria.

I haven't used it beyond spraying and wiping off (because honestly, the things that are easy to wipe, I wipe with my norwex cloths - tables and chairs and such). I'd love to be able to spray down my train table and little people structures without having to wipe them. I know I need to just try it on my own to see if it leaves a residue, but just curious if anyone else has tried it!