Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Diaper changing station

Just wondering where everyone has their change station? Mine is currently across from my bathroom in the hallway but I find that lately as soon as I am not in eyesight of a couple of the kids they turn into wild monsters. This is becoming an issue because all of my kids are in diapers so that means at least 20 diaper changes per day.
    Is it weird to have the changing station in the play room?

Expansive...
    I don't think it's weird at all. I have one changing station in our basement playroom as well as another changing station on the main floor, which used to be in the bathroom but I had to move it because like you, I just didn't feel I had enough visibility and the kids would, like you said, turn into monsters. I think as long as you keep it neat and clean there should be no prob. I think the most important thing is that the kids are safe and that means you should be able to see the and what they are doing.

Euphoric !
    Not weird at all. I change all kids on the floor on a change pad in my play room. I have a diaper genie by my garbage can. I have a kitchenette in my basement and I just do it on the floor by the sink so I can easily wash my hands. I find it safer as I never have to worry about kids falling off the change table and I am right where the kids are at all times. My kids have bins that I keep their diapers in. I use the same container of wipes for all kids and have that sitting by the diaper genie.

Outgoing
    I have mine in the playroom as well (though it's right next to a bathroom so it's the most logical spot). I just got the really cheap one from ikea (this one: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50197589/ ), and put baskets to hold each of their diapers and change of clothes. Creams and stuff I don't want them getting into go in a shelf above where they can't reach.

I'd just stick a bottle of hand sanitizer on the shelf too, just in case something happens (like monster children, for example) between the changes and hand washing.

Euphoric !
    Nope I don't think it's weird.

I have a long dresser with 6 drawers and I use a change pad on top of that. Each child has their own drawer with extra clothes, diapers and wipes. It's my nap room/spare bedroom so there is a bed in there. Usually I just put the change pad on the bed and change them there because each child can climb onto the bed on their own (I have back issues so always looking for ways to decrease lifting them!)

I have changed them in the kitchen though when needed.

Euphoric !
    I have mine in the playroom. I have a big ikea entertainment unit which serves as our stuffed toy centre, puzzle station, media area, dress up centre and diaper change area. It has huge roll out drawers underneath, one of which is filled with rows of colour coded diapers, and legend to show which kid is which colour, change pads, creams, wipes, etc. I just change the kids on a pad on the floor. It works great! The kids just kind of sit around and talk to me during changes. All the children know not to go into it and it's never been a problem. Soiled diapers go immediately to a compost bin in the garage from the hall entrance.

Outgoing
    Oh cool - great that others have this set up too! So do you lock the creams, etc. up?

Euphoric !
    I don't lock them up, no. The kids are never out of my sight. And like I said, they don't try to go into the drawer anyway.

Outgoing
    I don't lock mine up - they're just up where the kids can't reach. I can't imagine the kids ever climbing up there to grab it - though they could if they were determined i imagine. The only thing that could really hurt them would be the Vaseline, if they decided to eat it out of the jar (which I also have a hard time thinking they'd do), but it's within my sight the whole time we're in this area of the house.

My agency is pretty strict about locking up meds and cleaners and they don't have a problem with it, so I'm not stressing about it.