Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shy
    Oh thank goodness for you ladies!! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only 'strict' one! *phew* I was starting to second guess myself, it's just been bad the last couple of months with one dhp telling me that their child doesn't enjoy coming here as much any more, sometimes to the point of being upset. But dhm is willing to work with me on reminding dhc that there are different rules at day home than at home and dhc needs to be respectful and do as asked and expected. Funnily enough, this dhc is the one I have had in my care the longest, you think they'd be used to my expectations and routine by now. But dhd has started working out of town on an on/off schedule, so I think that may be part of it.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by DayHomeMama View Post
    Mickyc, what is your progression of consequences? I usually remind/ask/direct once and then if they do not listen they receive a time out. I've had dhp complain that their child gets too many time outs, but this child is disrespectful, rude, physical with other children sometimes. I don't just give time outs for fun, but me reminding more than once is counterproductive I feel.
    It depends what it is. I have the timeout chair as well as the couch. Timeout is for really bad behaviour, like hitting, throwing toys or having to be told multiple times about certain behavior.

If a child is being mouthy I usually give them a chance to rethink their behaviour and ask them to try again. If I get the same response or a similar one then they are to go to the couch and told they are not allowed to speak to me that way. If it continues then they get timeouts. It all depends on the tone and their behaviour at the time as well. Any child throwing a tantrum which involved screaming or kicking is immediately put in timeout. If they continue to behave that way on the time out chair the chair is moved into the nap room and they sit in there. It never gets to that point.

For the most part my group of kids right now is excellent. I don't have too many issues.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by DayHomeMama View Post
    Oh thank goodness for you ladies!! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only 'strict' one! *phew* I was starting to second guess myself, it's just been bad the last couple of months with one dhp telling me that their child doesn't enjoy coming here as much any more, sometimes to the point of being upset. But dhm is willing to work with me on reminding dhc that there are different rules at day home than at home and dhc needs to be respectful and do as asked and expected. Funnily enough, this dhc is the one I have had in my care the longest, you think they'd be used to my expectations and routine by now. But dhd has started working out of town on an on/off schedule, so I think that may be part of it.
    My almost 4 year old goes to preschool 2x a week in the afternoons and for awhile was telling mom that she didn't want to come here, she only wanted ps. I know that she has fun here but she does get time outs and I am stern with her. Her parents are not at all, she runs their household so much it's sad to watch. I knew that she was only saying that because ps was new but it did make me feel bad. However, she is now saying that she wants to come here all the time and wants to spend the night. I'm guessing the ps teacher probably got firm with her too recently LOL. Her mom has said that I am more strict than her and I have explained why. Dad told mom that he thinks she is spoiled but mom said they are her children and she will spoil them if she wants too. They are likely not going to change so all I can do is be consistent with her here. It must be tough for her though because she has different rules at home, at dc and at ps.