Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Needing advice

Expansive...

Needing advice

Hi there !!! I am pretty new to the Dayhome business! I started in September and I am currently full . My first problem was I started without contracts . I would like to start using them but I'm nervous because a lot of my dcm like the fact that it is pretty easy going around here . I don't know if its just me but I don't feel like a business ! I need to set myself up as a business but feel a little insecure if that makes sense!! I have a little OCD personality and I don't know how to move forward. I'm worried if I send contracts out in December for the new year that I will aggravate my dcp . I have recently found out I may have to relocate in September 2014 and am wondering if I should be rocking the boat so to speak or just continuing as is and implement new policies when I reopen ? I know I need to have confidence in myself and my Dayhome but I'm still new ! Did anyone else go through this ? Any advice would be appreciated !!!

Euphoric !
    Do your families know you are relocating? Are they coming with you?

My previous job was at a lawyers office so I cringe at the thought of you not having a contract. Mine is very thorough. I have had people tell me that they would never send their child to my daycare because my contract is so detailed but I don't care. Those are the people I don't want in my daycare. I am big on following rules and having guidelines and the only way to do that is with a contract. If they aren't willing to follow the contract then I don't want them in my daycare. I usually update mine every January too so I can include anything that has come up over the year. This way I have no issues, parents know exactly what to expect and there is no issues.

I would get one in place no matter what.

Euphoric !
    One option is to start with something very simple that includes a page where you fill out the days of the week, the hours and the fee due. I assume you have emergency contact information already. The biggest thing from a contract standpoint are these two things. Beyond that you can put whatever you want into your contract. Most of us revamp the contract continuously - in particular when a new family is starting and some do it annually and include changes then.

If you are concerned about how the families will react start basic and add. It is possible they took your home because there wasn't a legally binding contract and for sure you don't want to scare them away. Contracts basically put into writing everything you discuss at the interview - days you are closed are they paid or not, stat holidays, vacations, etc.

Outgoing
    I would definitely have a contract. If you don't you're setting yourself up to be taken advantage. I would guess that the majority of daycares have some sort of contract. I would include the rules that you feel most comfortable with and gradually expand from there. I had the same mindset as you in the beginning but got tired of being taken advantage of. I think a contract makes the parents treat you more seriously.