Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Christmas Gifts for Daycare Providers

In the last few days I have had some family and friends ask me what a provider would like for Christmas. My answer in both cases was money or a gift card.

I wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts are on Christmas. Do you expect a gift from your daycare parents? What are your favourite gifts?

I know that it is all supposed to be the thought that counts blah blah blah but I do think that the parents should get providers something for Christmas. We spend more time with their children than anyone else and I think we should be acknowledged. I have had some pretty great gifts and some parents who don't give me anything. I have a few new ones this year so not sure what to expect.

What are your thoughts....

Well, we went through this gift debate last year on the forum. Some providers feel they should receive a gift and others do not.
    I am of the camp that yes, I think a gift is appropriate and appreciated. We provide a service and that service should be compensated with a gift at a level which is affordable to the clients circumstance. I look at the appreciation from the parent and a more expense gift does not mean more especially when given out of duty. That said, I love gift cards, especially to restaurants and book stores. Food and books, some of my favorite things LOL HOWEVER, a card with some kind words for a job well done...........now that I really love to receive. Those cards make me glow inside.

apples and bananas
    I'll be the first it chime in and admit. I LOVE presents! I used to shower my provider with gifts and I absolutely expect the same.

Last year gifts ranged from a candle holder (which is a bit of a pain because you have to bring it out every year so that the little one knows you still have it) to a $100 gift card to a restaurant.

I personally like starbucks cards. Since I don't have the advantage of driving to starbucks every morning I make sure I have high quality coffee in the house at all time. My guilty pleasure I guess.

I also enjoy restaurant gift cards, movie gift certificates are nice.

I don't like... baked good... wine (never seems to be what I like) ... nic naks.

Euphoric !
    I don't expect gifts but it is nice too get them. I appreciate even a card with a hand written message expressing their appreciation for me and the care I provide their child with. (This actually means a lot to me, that they take the time out to write/express it)

This will make me sound selfish and ungrateful but I don't mean for it to be...I do prefer gift cards or money vs "stuff". The reason being, I have a fiance that is borderline hoarder(altho he is much better now that I am with him and he got rid of TONS of stuff) and I am a clutter free person.

In the past, I have had a great set of parents who would tell me almost weekly how glad they were to have found me(a few had some bad hdc experiences/meetings) and that they appreciate all that I do. That means the world to me! However, they also gave great presents as well for my birthday, ECE week and Christmas. A couple of them gave gifts for my fiance too. They were things like restaurant and store gift cards, prepaid mastercards, flowers, a thoughtful figurine of a dcp and child. It was all appreciated!

I'm not sure what too expect with this group of parents. I have had one bring me flowers for no reason which was really nice and unexpected. Truthfully I do appreciate each and every gift I get whether it is a $100 gc or a picture their child drew for me.

Euphoric !
    I am totally with you apples and banana's! I want a gift even a $10 gift card for Tim Hortons would mean the world to me!

I always find it interesting every Christmas to see who gets me what. People with lots of money seem to be the cheapest and give the worst gifts (in my experiences so far). I have a single parent who usually doesn't get me anything and I do realize money is tight for her but I will admit it would be nice if she would at least give me a card with a nice note inside.

I did have one family that could more than afford to get me something and never did. The grandparents would pick up one day a week and she would even get me something. One year the 2 boys were away for a week at Christmas (they went to Mexico) and Dad's comment to me that how nice it was that I still got paid while they were away. I think he thought that my gift was them paying me for their time away even though I was still working.

I also prefer money or gift cards over stuff. I got stuff last year that I ended up giving away because I couldn't use or didn't like.
    Last edited by mickyc; 11-22-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Outgoing
    Last year I recieved a gift from all my parents, except one. This is the same family that tried to bend my rules and showed no respect for me. Therefore I equate it with a thank you and appreciation for your provider

Euphoric !
    I want the gifts to be personal to me and have nothing to do with daycare. Most of my families buy me something candy, an ornament or something small and then include a gift card too. They know I like crafts so love Michael's gift cards and that serves both in the sense I can get craft supplies for daycare - if I really wanted to.

Shy
    I think a nice card with a hand written note or a drawn picture or craft from the kid(s) would be enough. Even families with two incomes can have tight budgets, especially around Christmas. When you have a big extended family it's hard around this time of year.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by momof2_boys View Post
    I think a nice card with a hand written note or a drawn picture or craft from the kid(s) would be enough. Even families with two incomes can have tight budgets, especially around Christmas. When you have a big extended family it's hard around this time of year.
    This is what I am getting at - I think that parents should make the daycare provider's gift more of a priority than most gifts they have to buy. This is the person that spends more time that even themselves with their child, this is the person who is in a sense raising their child - teaching them right from wrong for the first 5 years of their life. They should be considered as big of a priority as other family. What is wrong with spending equivalent to one day' worth of daycare pay for your provider on a gift.

Euphoric !
    Anyone ever find it is the parents that give us the least or go the least amount of trouble that expect us to go overboard on what their children make at daycare for them....