Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Parent going on mat leave - holding spot

Hi! Just wondering what you guys would do. I'm opening my daycare in December/when the renos are finally done. I'm on mat leave myself right now and watching my niece. My plan was always to only have 4/5 spaces filled but now my sister-in-law has announced she is pregnant, due June 2014. I believe she plans on keeping her daughter home with her for the year she is off with her new baby but will be bringing her and her new sibling here when she goes back to work. My question is how do you make up the extra money down one child? Do you charge a holding fee for the year or fill it with a part-time child and let them know if a full time comes along they would have to look for somewhere new/let them know they are here temporarily until the full time returns? What is the regular thing to do?
    Thanks for your help!

Expansive...
    Hi! I think most people will tell you they do something like require child come a few days per week to hold spots or charge a holding fee.

However, if you are just starting out, you could just wait and see for now how things are looking. Sometimes it can take a really long time to fill spaces. It is also very tricky working with family so this could avoid any discomfort with your sister in law until you are sure of her plans.

Shy
    That's true! Thank you for your input Wonderwiper! I know it's far off until she leaves but it would be an impact on the bills if I lose that income completely, so just worrying lol.

Euphoric !
    Relative or not once you open your home as a business then your sil will be expected to read and sign the same contract as everyone else. It is normal to expect at least part time pay during a mat leave and especially if she is expecting two spaces when it is over.

Also realize by the time she is ready to return it is quite likely that one of the other moms of one year olds you sign on will get pregnant and go on mat leave. We have quite a turn over in this business so it may all work itself out.

As long as you have that extra space you didn't intend to fill you will have a bit more leeway in the sense of being able to accept the extra child. After you have had a chance to get started in daycare you may find you are able and willing to increase the number of children.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    One thing that I was told when I started (from the person who helped me get going who had been doing it for over 10 years) was to NEVER EVER do care for family or friends. She ran into issues of her sister in law taking advantage of her and there became hurt feelings that to this day still cause tension at family gatherings. Just FYI.

I agree that all people must follow the same contract. If you want to hold a spot and not get paid that is fine but expect others to want the same treatment.

I had a mom on mat leave for a year. She still brought her older daughter 3 days a week (she was a minimum 3 days a week before). They lucked out and I had a spot open this past Sept for the infant. She didn't return to work until mid October but paid early starting sept 1st to secure the spot and ended up bringing both girls to transition easier.

I had another family leave in May. They had asked if I would take a lower rate to secure the spot and I told them no. The took their chances and gave up the spot. They have recently emailed asking me to let them know if anything opens up in April (now they will need 2 spots). Unfortunately it isn't looking like I can accommodate them. That was the chance they took in giving up their 1 spot.

Euphoric !
    For some it probably works well but I cared for a friend's son and while we didn't have an issue and are still friends, I can see that it could get awkward pretty quickly. I have one friend who I am extremely close with and we tend to think alike on almost everything. We have discussed it and I would most likely care for her children when has them. Other than her, I don't think I would look after friend's children anymore. I don't even like to look after friends of a friend as I just don't want to mess up a friendship.

It would be hard to say no too family but I don't think I would look after family either. I like to keep my business separate from my personal life and when you mix in friends and family that becomes impossible.

However, friend or family or total stranger, they all would be required to sign the same contract.

Shy
    Oh they will def be signing a contract, etc when I'm officially open. That's not an issue and if they don't want to I will have to ask them to look elsewhere. I don't see that happening though they are pretty happy with everything and feel very comfortable knowing their daughter is with family. They originally had her with a hdc provider when I was still working. Just really worried about lack of income when she is pulled out for the year. I suggested bringing her here part time but that was more for breaks than for part time pay but I'll have to talk to them about that with them more seriously in the future. Thanks everybody for your help!