Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    I've had to enforce my late fees with 2 of my families at some point. One family 3 times, the other once. Neither of them left but I was really nervous doing so the first time I did it. It gets easier the more times you do it. And I don't even think twice about charging it anymore. Good luck!

Euphoric !
    I get the OP's side a bit. I have a late fee and I do charge it but I do feel a bit.....degraded maybe? I hate being like "oh ya, don't forget you owe me $10" lol but I would do it because I don't want too send the message that being late is okay. Thankfully the family that has been late 3x has always paid the fee without me asking for it. If they ever didn't though I would just add it on to their next payment email.

I sorta wonder if they think that as long as they pay the fee, that it's ok. They know my fiance works evenings and I don't have children so I think they think "well she's home anyways". I however enjoy my evenings off and I don't want this to continue so I'm considering raising my fee and maybe terminating after 3 late pick ups.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I get the OP's side a bit. I have a late fee and I do charge it but I do feel a bit.....degraded maybe? I hate being like "oh ya, don't forget you owe me $10" lol but I would do it because I don't want too send the message that being late is okay. Thankfully the family that has been late 3x has always paid the fee without me asking for it. If they ever didn't though I would just add it on to their next payment email.

I sorta wonder if they think that as long as they pay the fee, that it's ok. They know my fiance works evenings and I don't have children so I think they think "well she's home anyways". I however enjoy my evenings off and I don't want this to continue so I'm considering raising my fee and maybe terminating after 3 late pick ups.
    That's exactly it ... Your late fee has to be substantial enough to be a deterrent not a ticket to keep doing it. If you add the clause "chronic lateness will result in immediate termination" that way your not bound to 3x but can do it at your descretion.

Euphoric !
    Thanks, that's a good idea!!! I used to be open till 515, so the $10 was for 15 minutes, until 530 and then anything over 530 was a full day's rate, which is $30. I am now closed at 5 and I forgot to change that part in my contract so now they pay $10 for the first 30 mins.

They are my last to pick up normally and they usually pick up at 430. I think that is what bugs me the most. When they don't get here until 530, that is almost an hour past their usual time so why can't they at least send a text!! I have mentioned it on my monthly newsletter twice now. I am finding this group to have way less respect!

Euphoric !
    Thanks, that's a good idea!!! I used to be open till 515, so the $10 was for 15 minutes, until 530 and then anything over 530 was a full day's rate, which is $30. I am now closed at 5 and I forgot to change that part in my contract so now they pay $10 for the first 30 mins.

They are my last to pick up normally and they usually pick up at 430. I think that is what bugs me the most. When they don't get here until 530, that is almost an hour past their usual time so why can't they at least send a text!! I have mentioned it on my monthly newsletter twice now. I am finding this group to have way less respect!
    Change it to a $1/minute after 5pm .... That'll fix their wagon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !

Hey wait a minute .... If they are your last pick up at 4:30 why not close at 4:30 ??? That would be my letter ...
    Dear parents
    . As of xxxxx my closing time will change from 5pm to 4:30pm. Late fees of $1/minute will apply for any pickups after 4:30. Late Fees are required in cash at the time of pick up. Thank you for your understanding.
    Regards 5 little money's daycare

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Hey wait a minute .... If they are your last pick up at 4:30 why not close at 4:30 ???
    I agree...why not just close at 4:30 if they are your last pick up. The hour they are late picking up because they are running errands is time they are stealing from you to run your errands and have family time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I recently had to do the same thing. Change my closing hours. I had my hours 7-5:30 but all families except 1 were picked up by 4:45. I had 1 family whos parents would arrive at pickup in their casual clothes, so it was clear they were going home first and running errands before picking up their child and I was waiting an extra 45 minutes for THEM. I posted a notice and handed it out to all parents saying that I was closing now at 5:00 and there would be $1 minute late fees.

Outgoing
    I do not charge a late fee because I do not want parents to think that being late is an option. I am a university professor and have to leave on time to teach. I close at 5. Only once has a parent come at 5 minutes past 5, and I was already in my car while my hubby had the child outside ready to go. They got the message. They usually arrive 15 minutes before closing just to be safe, or to give them leeway in case of traffic issues. They know if they are late, they will be terminated. This business closes at 5, just like any other business.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I just recently (well in the summer) had a turnover of daycare children. I was closing at 530 with my old group, my late child left so I switched to 515. Then my turnover happened so I changed to 5pm. I don't want to change again as most parents I interview need 5pm anyways. I don't mind being open till 5 but for the most part (almost always 4-5x a week) I am done at 430pm. I don't mind if parents do an errand every now and then as long as they are here by 5 which usually happens anyways.

I have 2 families that if dad is picking up because of the mom's shifts, need 445pm pick up. So even if I were to change my hours (for the 3rd time in a year lol) I would have to stay open till 445 anyways.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: