Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Daily Schedule

Outgoing

Daily Schedule

What is your daily schedule? Do you follow the same routine everyday?
    How closly is it followed? (everyday, no matter what the weather/kids in attendance)
    Would appreciate your feedback as I find myself stuck on what to do with the kiddos the next day!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree, some days it's hard. I have a young group too, 1-3.5 so I find activities don't really work or if I start something it last a few minutes then it's onto something else. I'd love some ideas too. We have a general base line I follow. 8:30-10:00 we do free play with some directed play, legos, puzzles etc then snack, then an activity like outside if it's nice out or a craft, 11-12 and then 12 lunch, 12:30-2:30 naps, 2:30-3:00 snack and outside rain or shine until pick ups. If the weather is totally nasty then I do another couple activities or a reading time till parents pick up. It's just finding the activities that's hard!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by KingstonMom View Post
    What is your daily schedule? Do you follow the same routine everyday?
    How closly is it followed? (everyday, no matter what the weather/kids in attendance)
    Would appreciate your feedback as I find myself stuck on what to do with the kiddos the next day!!
    I'm not a teacher & I'm not an institution, parents that come to me want their children to be in a relaxed atmosphere. We go with the flow in my daycare! Yes we do outside play (as much as possible) story time, craft, sing songs and dance, dress up, make forts etc. On some days we are outside for close to 4 hours we don't have time for crafts on those days!

Other days if it’s raining like cats and dogs or snowing like crazy we make 2 to 3 crafts!

Having fun and playing safe is my main theme.

I do try and do theme weeks like bug week, safari week, traffic safety week, etc...
    Last edited by Skysue; 08-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Euphoric !
    Things around here have been a lot more.... lax than I like them to be. I have had little to no energy, and physically basic movement has become a great exertion, lol. (Roll on September 9th, I tell ya!!!). So we have been doing a looooooot of free play. The 5 year old has not been enjoying it, but the littler ones don't seem to mind so much.
    Our basic schedule looks like this, though.
    From arrival time until about 8:30-9:00 we play upstairs. I have a selection of toys, we usually watch a little bit of Treehouse/Disney, etc. That is when my kids are getting up and having breakfast, getting ready for the day. Then we go downstairs and play in the playroom. Snack at about 10, clean up and go outside if the weather is decent. If not, I will see what the kids are feeling like. We might color, play downstairs again, sing/dance. 11:30ish I am making lunch, the older kids play what they would like to, the little ones play upstairs. 12 o'clock lunch, clean up, then naps and quiet time for 2 hours minimum. The older ones can play what they like as long as it's a quiet activity. I will set up a craft (organized or "free") a couple times a week. After naps we do snack, clean up and play outside again whenever possible. Usually that takes us to hometime, or we will play upstairs again until mom and dad are here.

Outgoing
    I don't really have a set schedule but more so follow somewhat of the same routine every day.
    I have a drop off at 7:30 and then not another one until 9:30ish, unless we have an outing planned. So basically from one drop off to the next we just have free play. I use this time to get my own kids fed and ready for the day and do up breakfast dishes. When all the kiddies are here we will usually do circle time/songs/reading until about 10 and that is when we do snack. After snack we either go outside (backyard/park/walk) do a craft or watch a movie. We eat lunch around noon and then between 12:30 and 1 is when they go for naps/quiet time. This is for at least 2 hours so they are up by about 3. We have snack and then it is free play again, whether it's indoor or outdoor. Pick up is then usually between 4:30 and 5.
    On days where we have an outing planned, I usually ask the after 9 drop offs to be here no later than 9 and we normally leave right away. I still like to stick to the afternoon routine of lunch/nap/play although sometimes we are a tad bit off of our timing there.

My program is flexible depending on the mood of the children, and the weather. I offer a preschool type program included are music and movement, reading, circle time, science and arts and crafts. Even the 1 year olds are involved. Usually the preschool program is run in the morning, but sometimes it is later in the day and even on some days we do not do everything. We spend a lot of time outdoors, at parks, beach and playgrounds. There is a "nap trap" in my daycare because of the little ones, but I just play it by ear. My day starts at 7AM and the last child leaves at 5:30PM, so we have lots of time to include a number of activities.
    Go with the flow and do not stress yourself out.

I do have a schedule but it's entirely flexible. I offer themes but I do them on a monthly basis, for instance "under the sea" and then each week we've looked at octopus, shark etc...My children are all young under 3, so although I may have planned activities each day, we just go with the flow and if we get to them great, if not, oh well.

Typically anything the kids have created at art time go home with the families on Fridays. But during summer, when my own older kids are home, i let parents know that we don't really do the arts and crafts...we tend to paint on trees and patio stones instead.

So during the summer months, we don't adhere to the schedule as much as we are outside for half the day...in the morning we go out after snack and stay out till lunch and then after nap we're out till the kids leave. I love it, less mess in my house, more fresh air...

Most importantly, I've discovered that it's more stressful to try and fit all these "learning times" in, instead when we're outside we can talk about the colour of things, or we can paint a letter or shape on the ground or examine bugs. I used to be more rigid about following a schedule, but now that I don't bother, I find that me and the kids are so much more relaxed and I'm able to just enjoy them!

Euphoric !
    The way I explained my learning program to a parent at an interview last night was that I have a planned letter, number, colour, shape, concept lesson for each day but if the opportunity presents itself to do an activity that accomplishes the same learning outcome I will substitute so over the course of the day your child will receive instruction in each of the things listed. For example I might have planned to have them work on colours with a matching game I had made but if they were playing with the hotwheels cars and we lined them all up and counted them from 1-30 and then divided them into piles by colour we have accomplished the goals of rote counting to 30 and sorting by colours so I would put aside what I had planned and move on to some of the other learning outcomes I wanted to teach/review.