Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Sick Policy Question

I was wondering if there ever is an instance where you don't call parents to pick up a sick child or if you always do.

I have a 17 month old today that has had very watery poops. 2 this morning and then one just as she got up from nap (this child is always a pooping machine lol other than never this watery). My policy states that after 3x then I call them to go home. She is a little crankier than usual and has had a cold (was home sick on Friday). Is there ever a time when you don't call for pickup as it is almost the end of the day anyways?

Just wondering. I texted mom and she should be here shortly.

Shy
    If it's near the end of the day, I don't necessarily call for pick up but I do send a text stating that exact thing. I let the parent know that per my illness policy, the child will be excluded for the regular exclusion period but that I am not requiring immediate pick up due to the time of day.

Euphoric !
    If it's near the end of the day and it's just watery/dirreaha poops I would just send a text explaining the issue and say immediate pick up is not necessary. If it's a fever or throwing up I would ask that they come ASAP but not necessarily immediately. I would remind them that as per contract, they need to be fever/puking/dirreaha free for 24 hours so that would mean they couldn't come tomorrow.

Starting to feel at home...
    The only time I haven't called is if I know mom or dad is already travelling here. I'll tell them when they get here and remind them of my exclusion period. Otherwise, all my kids are sent home.

apples and bananas
    If I can manage it with the current amount of children I have and I don't feel that it's putting the remainder of the children in danger (contagious) and if the child does not need immediate medical care then I will simply let the parent know, but also let them know that the child does not need to be picked up.

I find most parents want to pick up their child if they're ill.

For a few watery poops, unless the child needs to be bathed or the poops are not being contained in a diaper, I'd let the client know, but keep the child.

I think sick policies are great, but when it comes down to it, it's a judgement call.

It depends on the day, the time, what's happened, is there a fever, is the child cranky, is there something the child needs that we can't provide (Tylenol, bath ect. )

But, I always advise the client of what's happening and let them choose the course of action unless I feel the child needs to leave. Then I just call them and tell them "little johnny has been sick and needs to be picked up. What time can I expect you, the sooner the better"

Euphoric !
    Thanks. I did call mom to come pick up. My policy says after 3x they need to go home. She was a bit cranky yesterday. It was 3pm and I close at 5 and it just got me thinking if I should really text her to come get her. Mom came within 30minutes. I told her that if she had anymore runny poops that she needed to stay home today. She didn't have any so mom brought her back today. I said today that I would be calling after the 1st one this time - not waiting for 3. Mom was ok with that.

Thanks everyone for your input.