Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Vehicle Insurance? Is it worth it?

Good morning!
    I am headed onto my maternity leave shortly and when I do so my group will be losing 1 family.
    My husband is taking parental leave for 6-9 months to help out with the new baby but I will be the primary caregiver for the daycare children.
    Because my group will be smaller 2 full time 1 part time plus my own 2 and we have a minivan that seats 7, I have been entertaining the idea of starting field trips one or two mornings a week.
    I am wondering if anyone has an idea of how much it would cost to add on insurance for our vehicle during these 6-9 months. I don't drive so we would only get to go on our trips when my husband is home.
    I am trying to get a better idea of the additional cost and if its worth it to "open the can of worms" with my insurance company and be not able to get rid of the additional cost if we add it on.
    OR should I just play it safe and bus it for our trips?
    TIA

Euphoric !
    I can't remember how much extra it is and it will be different anyways because I'm in MB but I feel safer having it. I have never taken a bus so I don't have any experience in that but personally, I feel safer with children in my vehicle in carseats vs on the bus. I also like the freedom of my own vehicle and being able to come and go on my time and not rushing to catch a bus.

I love field trips and go on as many as I can when I have a smaller group. It's nice to change up the daily routine and get out and the kids love it as well

(I'm not sure where you live but here, I can decrease the insurance whenever I want, to my knowledge)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks! I am in Durham Region, Ontario.
    I don't want to call and inquire and then have the insurance company "flag" us even if we choose not go ahead with the extra insurance.
    I do already have the daycare "rider" on top of our house insurance. Wonder if the extra trips once or twice a week for 6-9 months be covered?

Outgoing
    I didn't get it because I was told it would turn my vehicle into a commercial vehicle and cost substantially more. I only have a car, so I can't fit the children in the car even if I had car seats. I also had one family specifically let me know during the interview that they would not sign the permission for for transportation in a vehicle. That was fine with me since I had no intention of transporting them anyway, but it did make me realize that it might be a real hassle. If you get a family who refuses to give permission to transport, you are stuck.

Starting to feel at home...
    I definitely have insurance for the house (just went through a hassle and had to change companies for THAT one) but I don't have it for my vehicle. I try to walk when I can but I also had all of the parents sign an off property permission form which includes transportation by van. I'm not sure how that would actually stand up in court but at least the parents can't claim ignorance! LOL. Sassygirl, you're not too far from me- I'm in the Durham region as well! Maybe if you're worried just call a few different companies but don't tell them that you actually run a daycare presently- tell them that you're only looking at possibilities.

Euphoric !
    I have had the extra insurance on my vehicle for my past job as well. Actually, I think I have always had it. They won't necessarily know that you run a daycare and most likely won't even ask.