Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...
    I'm also in the group off Christmas Eve until January 2nd....can't wait!!

Euphoric !
    lol. well I guess I am a sucker for punishment. Oh well. The reason I don't take more time off is because I really can't afford to. I was hoping more families would have time off this year and I could have some paid kid free days but not in the cards for me this year. Oh well.

Expansive...
    I took the 24,25;26,27 off and jan 1 !!! I am so excited!! Lol my one dcm is taking her 2 kids out from dec 18 - jan 6 !!! She was not happy with me because I drive her dd to school and have her 3 yr old sister all day and she 'thought' because I wasn't driving her 7 yr old to school I would look after her for 3 weeks at the same price !!! Um nope !! I told her it would be $35 a day if she wanted to use me for drop in . Soooo long story short I still get paid but do not have them both !!
    Merry Christmas to me !!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I used my 3 weeks already (definitely changing that for next year) so I'm technically open for all but the stats, but my families all enjoy their kids so I doubt they'll bring them if they don't have to. One is off from the 22-6, and even with one less it's a vacation.

Euphoric !
    I'm only closed officially on the three stats (Dec 25, 26, and Jan 1) Most of my families have vacation time during that time and will be keeping their kids other days so looks like I will have extra paid time off. My contract says I reserve the right to close early on Christmas Eve to facilitate family plans but haven't used it in 10 years - not since my own kids were in church choir and sang at the 5 pm church service.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    I used my 3 weeks already (definitely changing that for next year) so I'm technically open for all but the stats, but my families all enjoy their kids so I doubt they'll bring them if they don't have to. One is off from the 22-6, and even with one less it's a vacation.
    I don't have a set amount of time I take off per year. I don't want to restrict myself. I had surgery this year and had to take 2 weeks off but it certainly wasn't a vacation time for me. I had 2 weeks off in August for a vacation and took March Break off to be home and then time off from the 20th to the 6th. Seems like a lot of time when I write it down like that but typically I like 4-5 weeks a year to avoid burnout. Next year I already have 10 days planned in March after the first week off and will take time in the Summer and Xmas too. Also I don't work Fridays so when there is a long weekend it is not uncommon for me to take Thursdays and Mondays off too to get a 5 day break by only being off two days.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I don't have a set amount of time I take off per year. I don't want to restrict myself. I had surgery this year and had to take 2 weeks off but it certainly wasn't a vacation time for me. I had 2 weeks off in August for a vacation and took March Break off to be home and then time off from the 20th to the 6th. Seems like a lot of time when I write it down like that but typically I like 4-5 weeks a year to avoid burnout. Next year I already have 10 days planned in March after the first week off and will take time in the Summer and Xmas too. Also I don't work Fridays so when there is a long weekend it is not uncommon for me to take Thursdays and Mondays off too to get a 5 day break by only being off two days.
    Wow this is a lot of time off! That is wonderful you can do it. I don't take much usually 5 or 6 days a year and it is usually just a day on top of a long weekend. I might be on the fast track to burn out! lol ah well, I would rather have kid stress than money stress - can't afford much more time off than that.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Wow this is a lot of time off! That is wonderful you can do it. I don't take much usually 5 or 6 days a year and it is usually just a day on top of a long weekend. I might be on the fast track to burn out! lol ah well, I would rather have kid stress than money stress - can't afford much more time off than that.
    The two weeks off for surgery was not something that I could foresee at the time that I booked my summer vacation otherwise for sure I would have only take a week at that point. The biggest lesson I have learnt in the 8 years I have been doing home daycare is to look after myself first. In the role as a caregiver I need to be in top form and the only way I can do that to the best of my ability is to take regular time for myself. I budget well in advance to be able to afford to take time off and I do not get any paid days off beyond stat holidays so it's not like I have that advantage. In the last 12 months my earnings have been the lowest ever so I have learnt to live on much less. When I went to FL this summer we chose to rent a villa with a pool and spend many days there relaxing versus going out everyday eating out and spending money on expensive theme park tickets and other mad money activities. We just wanted a change of scene and a place to relax. So when I go on vacation I am out of pocket financially and we have to think harder when planning activities but it forces us to actually spend time together as a family versus doing "stuff" which detracts from being focused on each other. Board games, swimming and family cooking is my kind of fun.

Outgoing
    I generally close on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's also. I have no idea what days most of my clients are on holidays, only 2 of them have told me so far.

Outgoing
    Even though I am closed for our trip Dec 19-26 all my other kiddos will be off the two full weeks as parents have the 2 weeks off.
    Unfortunately my time will be unpaid... Its the norm in my area to not charge for sick, vacation or stats. Sucks big time!