Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I used to have a few families who had the attitude "I am paying for it so I might as well send my child". Drove me nuts. Kids love daycare and need routine but they love mommy and daddy more and should be at home with them any chance they get. It really makes me sad that parents don't want to spend the time with their child. Luckily I have families that are better now.

I have a parent who is a teacher and on mat leave. She brings her son as soon as I open and picks up at exactly close. Drives me nuts. He is also here 3 days a week and is a lovely boy. Why doesn't she want to enjoy him more now that she's home?

Starting to feel at home...
    Totally agree. Even if they drop them off for a 1/2 day or something, instead of the whole 9 or 10 hours, that would be great. I did the same thing, in that I just took the time off at Christmas or whatever holiday break it was. I have had the same family be the only one that brings them for the entire holidays or whenever they had time off, so I was stuck with just those children.
    I always was sure to mention to the parents, that "Oh, it was just them today, as all the other parents kept their kids home to spend time with them for Christmas vacation, or other holiday break...".

Euphoric !
    I actually had one of my "bring my child no matter what" parents actually say to me once "oh how nice it is to have Christmas break off (for a week that they actually didn't send their son because they took a vacation out of country). I said "well not really as I still have all the other kids those days". That dad got on my nerves so much sometimes! So glad they are gone!

This thread reminds me of my longest term babysitting years ago. I won't get into the whole story, but basically, a friend of a friend was looking for an emergency babysitter. That was me. 2 weeks later I was their new full time babysitter. I was watching the kids pretty much every evening and weekend, so the parents could have some "time off". I didn't mind. I loved the kids, but the parents changed one day when one of the children asked them if she could live with me. I think they got their message.

I think when parents have time off, it's fine for them to use the services since they are paying, but they really should be using them less and spending time with their child.

I have a current client that is on Mat. leave. Yet her husband drops off dcb every morning at 7:10am. My other dck's don't arrive until after 8:00am. On the rare occasion dcd has an appt. earlier he will have dcm drop off around 8:45am. DCM promised me that when she goes on mat. leave dcb won't be dropped off so early. Ya right. You would think she would want to spend some extra time with her little guy. Her infant is 5 months old now, so it's not even a newborn to say that mom needs the extra sleep in the morning or whatever. I'm sure she's finding it overwhelming with 2 kids even part of the day and that's the reason dcd drops off dcb so early. But geeze, once in awhile it would be nice to not have dcb here so damn early since mom is home anyway!!

I have had the same issue, dcb is my first drop off 7:00, at the time dad wasn't working, and he would be with me right until close, sometimes they would even show up late saying, " sorry fell asleep".

Quote Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
    " sorry fell asleep".
    I guess they really needed the break.

Quote Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
    I have had the same issue, dcb is my first drop off 7:00, at the time dad wasn't working, and he would be with me right until close, sometimes they would even show up late saying, " sorry fell asleep".
    That would irk me to the next level. I hope you charged them a hefty late fee for their nice slumber.

I had a mother of twins send them both three days a week when she was on her mat leave with her new baby. I didn't feel sorry for the girls, this lady obviously had a hard time handling the two she already had (well paid professional woman by the way), so I felt happy for the girls that they got to come to me and play with their friends because they were likely getting more enjoyment/stimulation from their days with me.
    I don't mind if parents spend their day off doing other things while their child is with me. I do, however require them to pick up by the time I know the latest kid will be leaving.
    I also enjoy a day to myself to get things done, or go shopping alone, or even watch a movie!!! I am not just a mom and a daycare provider, but a person who has my own needs, as are these parents.