Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Activities for 1-2 year olds

What are some activities I can do with a group of one and two year olds? I'm looking for new ideas.

Starting to feel at home...
    We do a lot of sensory bins (rice/water/sand). Mine are big into any type of tactile learning. Mine also love any type of play that involves helping or copying what a mommy or daddy may do. (kitchen, babies, cleaning, workbench). This along with beginner crafts and daily circle time

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to agesandstagesdaycare For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We do a lot of skills based learning using the toys for play but then introducing a concept. Such as I would put out blocks for general play and then at a point join the child and do things like make a row of blocks, name the colours, count the blocks, stack the blocks with me supporting the tower if necessary to have success. As they get older we make patterns with the blocks. Any circletime we do is limited in scope and time to about 10 mintues at a time. We read books a lot, do nursery rhymes and especially the "Five little ...." kind of poem.

I find lots of out door time is good for this age group, exploring and playing with a sand/water table if you have one. I find with my lil' ones I can see the difference in their day if they don't go out...not very pleasant Even if they get to go for a short walk and get fresh air, it makes a difference.
    agesandstagesdaycare ; that website is great! Thank you

Euphoric !
    I find that is the hardest thing for me to do with this age group because once they get their snowsuits, boots and mitts on they can't walk and some can barely stand. It is also hard to get parents to bring snowpants because they have been told not to put children into carseats with snowsuits on so they put them in and a blanket over them and at most I get them in with a coat on and at worst wrapped in a blanket and no coat till I insisted we needed in in case of emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    It is also hard to get parents to bring snowpants because they have been told not to put children into carseats with snowsuits on so they put them in and a blanket over them and at most I get them in with a coat on and at worst wrapped in a blanket and no coat till I insisted we needed in in case of emergency.
    Never had a problem with parents bringing snowpants. Yes, I have to agree with you that they can barely stand once fully dressed, but I do believe that the kids should get some outdoor time - I take them for walks around the subdivision while weather permits.

I have one parent that leaves her snowpants, extra mitts and hat at my home. The other parent that I currently have brings the extras in a bag they bring each day.

Euphoric !
    How do you get a wagon or stroller full of 5 kids through the snow as side roads don`t get plowed. The weight of the wagon is just too much.

I currently have a jogging stroller which is amazing or I take them out in plastic sleds (that you can buy at Canadian Tire or Independant Stores for $11-15), and tie them to one another! I have found that the wooden baby sleighs get too heavy and these are a great alternative as they kids can be secured in.

***Being in a great subdivision in Kemptville, I find that the plows make their way a lot sooner to us than when I used to live in Ottawa! If not, and there's not too much snow on our property, I walk them around in the sleds...
    Last edited by Play and Learn; 02-16-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: adding more info!

I have a runabout stroller. I will also use ice fishing sleds (very deep -high sides- big enough for 3 dck) about $25 at CT