Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    playfelt: trying to pull a wagon or a sled with 5 kids in the snow isn't fun, it is hard on the body. As we get older our bodies just can't do it anymore. Ok, I'll just say at least mine can't because I am height challenged because I am not getting old; that is my excuse and I am sticking to it, lol.

giraffe: I have a runabout stroller too. I am always mobile. The runabout strollers are amazing for getting out in the snow! I can be out there pushing 5 kids and barely breakind a sweat while other caregivers who are pushing triple strollers are struggling and can't make it through.

And yes, Ottawa streets and sidewalks are not plowed well, it can be 3 or 4 days after a good snowfall before my street and sidewalks will be plowed.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Euphoric !
    One of my issues with taking infants and toddlers for a walk is that yes they need fresh air but they spend so much time in bed, in highchairs, in other devices it just seems like they get very little exercise themselves. Love when the snow is gone and they can just be down on the ground and actually crawl or walk.

Shy
    My runabout stroller goes through anything, its almost easier in slushy mush than on pavement, and I have 4- 5 kids in it going places.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    One of my issues with taking infants and toddlers for a walk is that yes they need fresh air but they spend so much time in bed, in highchairs, in other devices it just seems like they get very little exercise themselves. Love when the snow is gone and they can just be down on the ground and actually crawl or walk.
    I feel the same way. Winter is hard for the children who can't yet walk because there is no excercise involved in outdoor time and I find they are frustrated at not being able to play. However, with some rain pants the can crawl around quite a bit now that it is spring. It's really that awkward age before about 18 month (or younger depending on the child) when it's hard for them to play in the snow. I had a 15 month old who did very well with outside play in winter. Just depends on the child.

Outgoing
    My best activities for the younger groups is prentend play. They love to 'clean' the toys. So I give them bubble water and let them make a mess with some toys and cloths. I agree that anything they can touch and feel keeps them interested for a while. Mine love blocks and plastic cooking wear. Sometimes we mix it up all together they put blocks in anything and then dump it ;0) They love books ! All of them love to sit with a book and we point to images, as well as wooden puzzles. I've had succes with music, signing and dancing too.

So far I have no trouble taking the wee ones outside. They can't walk but they go on all fours in the snow. The ones that have not seen snow may not like the first outting or first few minutes but all (for me so far) have come to love beeing outside. They shovel the snow. I also take them for a smal tour in a sleigh and I keep my baby swing out. We don't stay out for as long as we do in the summer and we go out maybe only once in a day as opposed to 2-3 times but we have fun.

This year will be different for me ...my group will be mostly 2's and older plus 2 one year olds ... I think that will be a challenge keeping everyone in the same activity. Any tips ??

For this age group I find the favourite toys for free play are generally mega blocks, pop onz and balls. As they get closer to age 2 then dramatic play is my go to and I have a garage full of totes full of dramatic play collections based on themes. Sometimes they are so simple like for WInter I have a tote full of winter hats and gloves and they love these. In the Summer I have 2 suitcases and each filled with shorts and t-shirts, plastic sunglasses, suntan lotion bottles taped up, we make passports, camera's etc etc. The possibilities are endless and I find that its a good activity for the whole group from age 1+.

Also I can't say enough good things about treasure baskets. These are perfect for babies, but also 1-2 yr olds. I'd make a treasure basket full of everyday items that they may not be exposed to on a regular basis, or of different textures. The textures one is good for them to explore and then lead into a craft with paint to see what pattern they make.

Crafts can be challenging for this age group. Not because they can't make their own version of a ladybug or easter chick, but because I find so many can't tolerate having messy hands lol So, I tend to get them over this initial hurdle so that craft time goes without tears and tantrums. To do this I do malible and sensory play. Sensory trays filled with cornstarch gloop, pudding, rice, sand etc etc. I try to include them in themes also. If the group is working on bugs one week, I would hide plastic bugs in gloop. The other thing to do is a shallow tray of sand or anything that you can leave a mark in and give them toothbrushes to make patterns with. They also love the water table filled with water and any plastic toy along with toothbrushes and they scrub them and clean them and then line them up to dry on a towel.

I find with this activity each child might get something completely different out of it, but it is an all round good activity to satisfy all age groups.

Shy
    Thanks for the idea of cleaning the toys Crafty. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas21 View Post
    If you are working in child day-care centers, then it's your responsibility to keep kids happy and comfortable. For this you need to organize interesting activities so that they involve in that environment.
    Thanks for the input. Hence the thread. This board helps daycare providers share ideas.