Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: After hour care

Starting to feel at home...

After hour care

I am considering doing After Hour Care. To earn additional money for my family, as my husband lost his job in August and we have not yet found a replacement job. My daily rate is $35.00 per day. What should I charge for after hour care. I would start at 6:00 p.m. and end at 7:00 a.m. I would provide dinner and breakfast.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Outgoing
    I would charge $55 in addition to the previous days rate if they pick up by noon.
    $35 day+$35 overnight (includes dinner) and $20 half day rate includes breakfast.
    Anything past noon pick up I would charge $35 instead of $20.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks Sassygirl, I would only do evening care, not for the current clients but for new clients that need overnight care (shift workers). How much should I charge if my daily rate is $35.00 per day.

Euphoric !
    So you are wanting to do this for new clients and for a total of 13 hours? I tend to think that overnight care should be cheaper as they are sleeping most of the time but 13 hours is a long time. I would probably still charge your same fee, $35.

Euphoric !
    In some employment there is a shift differential meaning those working second or third shift get paid slightly more than those on day shifts but for those working 12 hour shifts not as much as it balances out over a 2-4 week period. One issue is not everyone works consistently nights and has some day shifts which you wouldn't be able to accommodate if you already your kids for daytime. But there is for sure a demand for this kind of thing.

If you live near a college or university there will be students needing till midnight to attend night classes as compared to overnight. Although you will be giving two meals you will only be giving one snack or something small before bed. In contrast you won't have the craft expenses of a day program as there will only be a couple hours before the children go to bed which can be used for freeplay, stories, etc. I would probably take your daytime rate and add a $5 shift premium to it. Take into consideration the children are sleeping.

Outgoing
    Playfelt is right. The majority of positions that are overnight have a higher rate per hour. I have worked previously at Tim Hortons and WalMart and both pay more per hour if you are doing the night shift.
    Although if the child is one who is a good sleeper and you will be having a good nights sleep yourself I may just keep it at my daily rate. If you will be getting up with the child, if they aren't a good sleeper etc you should charge more for your inconvenience.
    I would say whatever your daily rate is for the additional 10-12 hours overnight until your opening hour. If child is staying longer, tap on your half day rate.

apples and bananas
    This is a premium service and should be charged as such. I charge dbl my daily rate for over night care.

almost no one offers it and those who have offered it often stop shortly after they start. I certainly couldn't do it.

Make sure you charge what you feel is worth your time to do it.