Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Food and dish bombs

Hello,
    I have a minor but very annoying problem!
    My son, 17m, drops food, dishes, cups, etc off his high chair when he is done. We are encouraging him to use the phrase "all done" or sign it when he is done and he is slowly learning. We have tried ignoring the dropping and letting him do it, then we clean it quietly (so to not provide negative attention), we have tried a very stern no and holding his hands then taking everything away. We never give him anything back after he has dropped it but he still does this. I think he is old enough to know better now, does anyone have any ideas?
    I have another 25m dck who does something similar, he is ESL so there is a communication barrier, he shoves his dishes away when he wants more but often they rocket across the table and make a mess. I have been teaching him the sign for more, and use the words "more please" but whenever I do this he just nods at me and won't actually try to speak or use the signs. He has very few English words but understands everything. Not sure if I should get tough on him and only initiate giving hm more when he properly asks?
    TIA and everyone be happy, tomorrow is Friday!

Euphoric !
    I don't allow dropping of food and if they do it purposely, I tell them that "I am not happy with your behaviour. We do not drop our food." Depending on what it is and how old they are, they have to help clean it up. I have a large coffee table and kid sized chairs so that helps as well, as the dropping area is much shorter!

I have a few bowls that are anti-slipping and I use those for things like stew, soup, cereal etc. This decreases the chance of bowls slipping off the table as they are trying to eat from it. I was thinking about this the other day actually and am thinking of making some place mats out of anti-slip material. (I can't think of the name...sorta like mac tac or shelf liners...)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    For the 17 month old, my only suggestion would be to catch him before he throws it… which means being on top of him from the second you think he's starting to fill up, then grabbing it before he decides to throw (or as he's throwing it), and guide it down (to the table if he has a tray or further away from him if he's at the table). Then praise him "good job not throwing your food! I'm so happy you decided to put that on the table instead. You can say 'all done' and I'll take it away." Throwing when they're done is trickier because if you take it away after they throw it, that's pretty much what they were going for. All you can do is make him use the appropriate action and then praise praise praise so that becomes the most desirable option.

The other one I would explain in simple language "don't push, say 'more.'" Initially i think you might have to deal with the pushing, but don't give him anything until he says more. It's a simple enough word that he can mimic or at least make an attempt. Once he's got that down you can work on the pushing. I'd give a lot of warnings throughout the meal 'remember, don't push, say 'more.'" If nothing, I'd start getting tough on him: if you push, your plate goes away and you're done. If he understands everything, he should be able to get it, it's just easier for him to shove his plate away than practice new language. How long has he been with you?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have all toddlers in my care so every day there is a thrower at lunchtime.
    I will give a glare with a "No throwing!" then if it happens again their tray is removed and they can sit there in their chair until mealtime is over. My highchairs have them firmly buckled in so they can't climb out. I also make a point of having the food thrower be the LAST one that gets down. Usually does the trick.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sassygirl For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I start infants with a plate for their food even if it is a plastic lid off an icecream pail or similar as in practically disposable and unbreakable. The plate is replaced on the tray every time they lift it with the words on the plate to eat. I also tell parents to please reinforce plates at home not to just dump food on the tray.

No plate no dessert. Curbs the older kids ie 17 month olds get that their friends got a treat and they don't because they tossed their plate. A tossed plate signifies they are full or they would have kept the plate and continued to eat.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree food and plate/bowl throwing is unacceptable and I have a 12 month old that I just started and of course he throws but not as much as some others I've had .... I say no throwing in a strong voice and a serious face .... I take their hands in my hands while I say it .... I watch and as soon as they look like they are going to toss something I say in a louder then normal voice to catch them off guard "no throwing" and if they put it down on the tray I say good job ... For the 17 month old I would immediately take him out of the chair and make him pick it up then put him back in the chair and say" no throwing" ..... I do expect some tears and thats ok .... My 12 month old that gas only been here 3 weeks is doing really well he has not thrown his bowl yet but tried dumping it and I said "no dumping" he has only thrown food once and his cup twice .... I just speak to him in a stern voice and a couple of tunes he's been poised to throw and I said "no" and he put it down .... I'm not sure why parents allow it its so much easier to stop it at 12 months them wait till they are older.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

The 24m old has been with me since June. I suspect that he gets away with it at home and it's just a bad habit he has developed.
    My son, 17m, has been doing this for a while now, and it's gone on too long.
    Thanks to all for the great suggestions!
    Last edited by AcornsFalling; 11-29-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Outgoing
    I have also noticed a little trend with my food "throwers"... They ALL have dogs. Hmmm...
    Coincidence???

Already having better behaviour from the two year old after being removed from the table a few times. He definitely gets it. My 17'm old... Still working on it. I'm sure getting quick at swooping down to grab food/dishes!
    Best thing is that my floor doesn't need a full clean after each meal. Big time saver!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AcornsFalling For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I also have a food thrower and water thrower and wrapper thrower!lol I generally have him pick up his own mess which tends to curb this behaviour.