Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing
    Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum and to this city in fact, to this country

I'm actually surprised to see how many kids you can look after in this province. I would be worried if a dayhome take cares of 7 children under the age of 2! God forbid, what happens if you need to evacuate the house? How will you carry 7 kids?

I think for one adult looking after 7 kids at the same time is too much and I personally, would not choose a day home with 7 kids.

I don't intent to upset anyone here but I think it is common sense. And I would be insane to take on 7 kids under the age of 2 or even 3.

I will be opening my day home care in couple of weeks and I was thinking on getting only two kids, maximum three at any giving time. Because, I don't think I can provide quality care for those kids and it's not fair on them and I need to enjoy what I'm doing so that, I can keep on providing my service.

I don't know but this is what I think and what I would do.

Regards,
    Cocoon

Starting to feel at home...
    Actually Cocoon, There is age restrictions you need to follow such as 3 under 3, 2 under 2 etc. Having 7 children under 3 would be insane, definitely not quality child care. I don't believe anyone here is saying otherwise.

I run a licensed daycare in BC and 7 children is very manageable because of the age limits. 4 under 4 yo and 3 between 4 and 12 years old. Once they hit 3 most do many tasks themselves and as long as you are organized and efficient there is no reason that the quality of care needs to be compromised.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FS2011 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    FS2011, agree with you. And I also wonder about the quality of care? Yes, some kids may do many tasks for themselves but how can you find the time to give them the attention they need? Don't parents pay us to give their child loving attention too rather then only feeding them and make sure they are safe? How can you give the attention with 7 kids under your care? And what happens if you need to attend 2 or more kids needs? I think with 7 kids with no help, I would go insane.
    Oh god I'm not even thinking what happens when they snatch toys from each other or bite or smack You must be a super woman to manage all. I salute you

PS: What is quality care means to you all day home care providers, if you dont mind me asking?

Regards,
    Cocoon

Euphoric !
    It actually works out that the more kids there are the less they need us. The children play with each other, make up their own games, etc. My role is to supervise, provide ideas to expand their play or interests etc. It isn't necessary for me to follow each child and personally be their by their side all day. That isn't a healthy environment either. While 7 under 2 is questionable, 7 under 3-4 is totally manageable and would be the same ratios if you went to a preschool.

These kids are with us typically 8 hours a day, with 7 kids here 3 usually go to school during the day...even if they don't there is still plenty of time to show each child one on one attention. It's all about how you interact and spend your day. If they are free playing all day with you watching then no I don't see that as the best at meeting their emotional needs. If you can create activities, get involved, have helpers, create team work, reading and circle time etc etc and you are an active part of these processes then you are right there proving attention to each person as needed. Even in a group of 3 you will see biting, smacking etc. You use that experience as a learning opportunity, a cuddle for the "victim" and then carry on. I don't believe that just anyone can open their home to 7 children and provide quality care. It takes a special type of person. I myself have gone through school, dreamed about being a child care provider for many years, continue to take courses to stay current and gain knowledge of children's behavior. We choose this industry because we love children and have a passion for it. As far as what is quality child care...to me it's a safe, clean, happy, empowering environment with a care provider that's warm and loving. No one starts out with 7 children, it's a process to learn and build into. With a few more years under your belt, you should feel more then capable of caring for 7 children with a quality standard!

Perhaps you could connect and visit a dayhome in Alberta that operates with multiple children. This way you could see for yourself how "it's done"!

Outgoing
    FS2011, I do know and have the ability to manage/deal with 7 kids. I'm a qualified and experience child care provider. And I do update my skills thru attending courses. I just don't want to have the stress of having to look after 7 kids in my house. And it's not about I can't it's about I wouldn't.

Anyway, I gues your understanding of a quality child care is different then mine. Aggree to disagree.

"Perhaps you could connect and visit a dayhome in Alberta that operates with multiple children. This way you could see for yourself how "it's done"! " Maybe I should visit your dayhome as it seems you are doing perfectly well. Considering 7 kids under your belt and you giving them quality childcare while you are posting comments on here. As I've said before, you are a super woman!

Wow, you have no idea what's happening with me today. That's a pretty bold comment. This isn't how we treat eachother on this forum Cocoon.
    For one I said I'm in BC so visiting my centre isn't an option, I'm also an hour behind you which means it would be quiet time here where my children nap. However I'm closed today, not that it's your concern when I post and when I don't. I'm done with this, you have already wasted to much of my time. Don't post looking for answers and assistance if your going to waste our time.

Outgoing
    FS2011, I couldn't help but defend myself when I see you posting this comment ""Perhaps you could connect and visit a dayhome in Alberta that operates with multiple children. This way you could see for yourself how "it's done"! "

I guess it wouldn't hurt you if you were a bit polite and welcoming. Nevermind, I'm just hoping other people on this forum are polite and welcoming.

Thank you for your precious time tho. You could have take another child instead of wasting your time here with me. Have a nice afternoon