Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Pajama View Post
    Hmmm. As a former day care worker (I've been away from the field for a while, raising my own kids), I think that Cocoon is the only person I'd consider sending my child to! 3 children per adult (when the adult is on his/her own) was the rule back in my day. I wouldn't even consider taking any more...not without a co-worker. You can't possibly provide quality care with a ratio of 7-to-1. What has happened to Alberta's regulations? Yikes!
    I had four kids of my own - guess that means I couldn't be a good mom if what you are saying is true. Just because you couldn't do it there are many woman that thrive caring for many children.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by JHolkemama View Post
    Hi Ladies, I am looking for a website or some basic information on privately run dayhomes in alberta (edmonton specifically). I have no problem finding licensed dayhome information, but I was wanting info on regulations for those of us not licensed. I just opened a couple of months ago and have been going by the standards of licensed dayhomes, but I was just wondering if things like ages, number of children in care, etc. Thanks
    http://humanservices.alberta.ca/fami...licensing.html

there is the link.
    I was wondering about it too, being an approved day home operator I wanted to double check what the private child care workers are obligated to

All great information, I am starting my own private childcare in my home and its very confusing on child ratio, as I now understand ( I think and hope) that running private I can have 6 kids ( not including my 1 child), I am going to run by the licenced regulation and guidelines act, its nice to know I am not limited to how many kids I can but how many I can handle with most of the kids being in school. Been searching for months on what I am allowed to have so much mis information out there.

hi again,
    I would really love to name my day home, do I need to get licenced to do that? in the end if I get to busy setting up a business ( and paying myself from business) is going to be option but since I am starting out just wondering if anyone knew about this by chance??
    thanks

Ok so here's a scenario. Private day home in Alberta had two care takers full time in home. Does that mean the 1:6 ratio applies to bothe providers? Say there are 10 kids and two providers and 2 kids are only part time. Being that it's private is that ratio ok?

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcoole View Post
    Ok so here's a scenario. Private day home in Alberta had two care takers full time in home. Does that mean the 1:6 ratio applies to bothe providers? Say there are 10 kids and two providers and 2 kids are only part time. Being that it's private is that ratio ok?
    What you are describing sounds like a group family daycare (where there are more than 6 children and more than one provider), which would require a license. Otherwise (from my understanding), it doesn't matter how many caregivers you have, you still can only have 6 kids in a private day home. I believe this is same no matter what province you reside in (i.e. you can't have more kids in a private daycare just because there is more than one caregiver).

hi Im a newbie here, thinking of opening a private dayhome, can I issue receipts and do I need to register those receipts, thanks in advance!

Yes. You are suppose to provide your clients with receipts. Otherwise ur getting paid under the table and that's against the law. U give out receipts yearly, at the end of every yr. u claim the amount on ur taxes and the client claims it also. I just pick up a receipt booklet at the local dollar store. It gives them a copy and me a copy to keep. U don't need to register the receipts just claim the amount on ur taxes

Hi ladies!
    I have master's degree in education and my friend has bachelor's plus montessori course. she's got over 20 years of experience in child care and I have 8 years. Would you recommend licensed or not? I have a 14 months old son and am seriously thinking of opening a day home. And, honestly, how many children do you have to have to make it worth your while? Because, we all do it to be able to stay home with our own child(ren) and also make a living. Plus, I just love kids and I would have a program, it wouldn't be just like babysitting. I want them involved in all kinds of activities. Thank you!