Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I really, really don't understand the push to have everyone licensed. From things I've heard from various people's experiences with agencies (providers and clients) they really don't sound very good. The reviews have been mediocre at best. Most people don't even seem to understand that the providers aren't licensed...only the agency is. Why not a mandatory registry with inspectors attached to that? Why agencies? I'm guessing that aspect is just a great big money thing. I was especially impressed with the fact that they want to cap parent fees. So I can't even attempt to recoup some of the money lost in this mess. The 2 under 2 is going to absolutely put me out of business. I've been building this business for 13 years and have invested a bloody fortune into it, as I'm sure many of you have. I don't know about everyone else, but I could absolutely throttle those frickin' idiots who ran such crap daycares, hurt children and gave all of us a bad name. I'm absolutely livid!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I don't know about everyone else, but I could absolutely throttle those frickin' idiots who ran such crap daycares, hurt children and gave all of us a bad name. I'm absolutely livid!
    This is exactly how I am feeling right now. And yes of course this is just a big money scheme that the agencies are behind. Honestly after all the crap in the news, and after the title"government cracks down on dangerous, unsafe daycares" I am at my wits ends. I am so tired of being demonized!

Thumbs up

CityNews Toronto's article included this, I quote

"The opposition parties have said that the government needs to act against unlicensed daycares after two toddlers died in the Toronto area in July while in their care."

This makes me so mad as they just lump us all into one bag and say they have act against us like they are fighting a war ffs!!! How about working with us to improve unlicensed home daycares?? If we have to become licensed we should be entitled to the same subsidies and grants that the centres can apply for.

As for the ratios I actually haven't seen anything official with the ratios so if someone can post a link for verification then I'd appreciate it. Nowhere have I read or heard anyone talk about the effectiveness of the programs when there will be such big age gaps. The children's programming will likely suffer as it will be harder to accomodate the different developmental stages with one activity. 1 year olds and 3-4 yr olds don't even interact in centres so to increase this in home daycares is going to be problematic in my opinion. Doable for sure but far from ideal. And what happens when a child enters a new age group and throws our ratios off??? Do we have to give notice because then this whole thing will make it more difficult for everyone involved to have good quality, consistent childcare.

So stressed out thinking about it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Me too.
    I am fine with staying unlicensed and including my own children in the "5" ratio. I have 4 full time children so once my baby #5 comes in March one of my families is leaving anyway so I will be down to 3 plus my own 2.
    I am looking for verification on the actual numbers as well. If that is the case effective immediately that it must be 1 under 1 2 under 2 etc than I will have to close bottom line.

Expansive...
    I can't seem to find anything about age restrictions other than what was mentioned in this article

http://www.680news.com/2013/12/03/on...aycare-system/

"The changes would also force private day cares with more than five children under the age of four to be licensed."

Playfelts post said that even unlicensed would still have to meet the ratios

Expansive...
    Wait a minute...found this one

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=htt...ulated-daycare

The two under two rule is in there

Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    Wait a minute...found this one

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=htt...ulated-daycare

The two under two rule is in there
    Thanks for that. I'd love to see a source besides the media at some stage but this is a start.

My kids are older than 10 so wouldn't effect my numbers in that way. There is suddenly going to be huge shortage of spots not only for infants under 12mths which there already is, but now also for 2 years and under. Also I'd be less inclined to take part timers as filling the other days would be difficult and a loss in income that I wouldn't be able to afford. I will also have to raise my rates and cut my programming costs in order to net the same amount. What a major ball ache this all is ((huff)) In Feb I will have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 16mth old, 21mth old and 2 x 12mth olds.

I'd be interested to see the number of parents who are suddenly without childcare the day this act is passed, and as a result the number of parents who are unable to find replacement care....what a mess!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Absolutely Bright Sparks! I am really curious where all these 12 months olds are going to go now considering that most providers have at least 1 currently in care.
    What are these 80% of parents going to do now?

Euphoric !
    So am I understanding this that if we stay unliscenced we can still have 5 but it includes your own (mine are in school so I don't care and I have a teacher family so those leave in the summer and I can insert my kids in their spots) .... And we can only have two under two. Is this right?