Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Playfelt, thanks for this info. That is certainly an option...if we could possibly find a 6th child that fits in the ratios! Basically it would have to be a 3 year old or school-ager. And agency rates for school-agers aren't even worth the bother. I am writing to my MPP right now, so thanks for the clarification on ages. I would still have to let two kids go if this comes into effect right away. But as of summer when two of mine turn 2 I guess I could have 2 more babies then (I happen to have two families on mat leave who would sure be happy to have the spaces). It will make for a long 6 months of low income...but realistically I can't close my daycare before September anyway when my daughter is in school.

Outgoing
    does anyone know if under age 2 means under 24 months?

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post

I did think of one scenario that could help us being licensed though although a lot to go throuegh. We don't make enough to let agency take a cut on all 6 spaces but if registered, placed 5 in of our own privately and then let the agency give us the 6th child and only took a pay cut for that child it could work to our benefit but a lot of hassle for an extra few dollars a day.
    That is a great idea Playfelt. That could work. When I worked for an agency I was allowed to have private clients and kids from other agencies. They preferred to take on providers that have the under 2 spots available since these spots are high demand with agencies, but we could find the 6th kid through our usual marketing tools and then presented them to the agencies to be enrolled through them. We can even include in our marketing that we are licensed since many providers that are currently affiliated to agencies do that since most parents don't know that the agency is the one with a license.

Starting to feel at home...
    After reading the Backgrounder http://news.ontario.ca/edu/en/2013/1...ation-act.html

Paragraph 2

2) Increase access to spaces in licensed home child care settings

Under the act, the number of children that licensed home child care providers could care for would increase from five to six. If all current licensed home child care providers took on one additional space, they would create approximately 6,000 new child care spaces.

Unlicensed child care providers would still be permitted to care for a maximum of five children, but they would have to follow the same rules as licensed providers for relevant age groupings and count their own children under the age of six toward the maximum number of children permitted in care.

One of the main reasons why we are not licensed it due to the fact that it doesn't pay enough money to be licensed. Since, the talk of this new legislation, I have been seeking employment, it's not the best scenario for my family but what else are we suppose to do. We need to all earn a certain amount of income, this is very upsetting and frustrating.

There is a facebook page entitled Opposed to the Child Care Modernization Act here is the link https://www.facebook.com/opposedtocc...age_fan_invite

Outgoing
    I think they need to leave the ratio as is and start clamping down more. The ministry needs to step up and really start investigating. I don't understand that if they had a hard time before keeping up, how are they going to be able to keep up now.

I have actually already told all my daycare parents that there won't be a rate increase next year.....they are going to be pissed off when this bill gets passed and I raise my rates for ages 2 & under. I already charge $45 a day M-Th and would have to up it to $50. I also have a m,t & th who I would likely have to insist takes the 4th day also as I will not be able to fill a single day. I am also worried about those stay at home mums charging far less than us seasoned business operators who do the job simply to be home with their kids but don't need the money. They will likely be able to cope with only 2 or 3 kids financially speaking, in fact they probably don't want to be full in the first place. By me and others like me raising our rates, any spots the SAHM's have will fill quicker. Parents will also be forced to shop for a dcp primarily looking at daily rates due to those needing to increase rates and the parents having less affordable options.

Euphoric !
    http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...etail_the_bill

Just tried again and it works now. There is a place to download a pdf of the bill so if the link doesn't work send me an email and I will send you the pdf I saved.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    under age 2 means child has not had their second birthday. From the day the child has had their second birthday they in the over age 2 grouping

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

This is what it read about 2 caregivers model. So if this part is approved seems that a home daycare affiliated to an agency could have up to 12 kids if there are 2 caregivers. That also could be an option.

home child care

1. The child care provided at the premises meets the following criteria:

i. The child care is provided,

A. by one child care provider for no more than six children or, if a lesser number is prescribed in accordance with subsection (6), no more than the prescribed number of children, or

B. if the regulations so provide, by two child care providers for no more than twice the number of children that applies for the purposes of sub-subparagraph A or, if a lesser number is prescribed, no more than the prescribed number of children.

Outgoing
    I am concerned about what to do when my son starts JK in September. If he is ever sick or home from school on a PA day then he counts towards my limit of 5. Not mentioning that I will most likely be doing his school run, or even if I hire a student to walk him to and from, there is still that hour before and after school that he will be at home. So since I have 3 kids, one will be in JK, I still can only take in 2 daycare kids. How am I going to keep doing this?? I haven't mentioned anything to my parents, nor have they mentioned. I am just super upset that I need to figure out which 2 I will have to term.